Join our thriving community of postgraduates and benefit from strong industrial links, cutting-edge research and teaching expertise in York’s Department of Computer Science to advance your career.
Our students go on to a wide range of careers after they graduate – the growth of technology has opened up opportunities in many sectors. The Guardian, which produces the only dedicated postgraduate subject league tables, ranks us fourth in the UK for the number of students gaining employment within six months of graduating – well above many of the top ten overall rated Computer Science departments.
Graduates join companies such as BT, Google, IBM, GCHQ and Rolls-Royce, where the principled teaching they’ve gained from York allows them to quickly pick up any challenge in the workplace.
We also collaborate extensively with industry to ensure that what we teach fits in with what employers want. Our Industrial Advisory Board is made up of key industry players including IBM, Philips Research, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and Thales Underwater Systems – all of whom look for graduates from Computer Science departments and who value those from York. They tell us of any advances in industry, so our teaching keeps up with the very latest trends.
This teaching is also built upon cutting-edge research which is being undertaken in the Department. We have world-leading and internationally excellent academics working on the latest advances in the discipline, and we translate these findings directly into our teaching – meaning you are learning exactly what is happening right now. You will be able to take this knowledge into the workplace, or continue with your academic study of Computer Science.
Gopinath Setivarahalli now works as a Project Manager for Coda Music Agency, after completing his MSc in Software Engineering in 2011. He believes that his degree from York gave him the confidence and experience to succeed in his current job.
"The course is very industry oriented – it is structured in a very similar way to the way a company works to deliver software solutions, so there was no real surprise for me in the transition from University to industry. The industry talks and guest lecturers organised by the Department give a key insight into applying what you learn at University to the real world.
"My dissertation was a great experience – it really helped me to apply what I had learnt in my course at a more detailed level, and the subject of my dissertation is now what I do in the real world!"
To take a look at the range of courses we offer – including Masters courses in interactive technologies, cyber security, advanced computer science, software engineering and more – visit the Department of Computer Science website.
- See the full list of taught Masters courses on offer for entry in September 2013
- The Department has a number of scholarships worth £5,000 each for taught masters courses starting in 2013. Find out more about this funding.
- The Department also offers a PhD programme allowing you to work with one of our world-leading academics on a topic of your choice. Discover what you could study at the cutting edge of Computer Science.
- Read more student profiles to find out what our students really think about studying in the Department.
- More than 97 per cent of graduates from our postgraduate courses go on to employment or further study within six months of their graduation. Find out where they work.