York’s third annual Giving Day raises over £137,000
Posted on 9 November 2021
The third annual York Unlimited Giving Day took place on 3 and 4 November, raising over £137,000 for students and mental health causes at York!
The total was made up of gifts of all sizes from staff members, students, alumni and friends from 30 countries. 265 Ambassadors for York joined in by spreading the word to their networks across the world, and over 25 student fundraisers were involved in securing support for Giving Day causes from alumni living in the UK.
The first £15,000 of donations were doubled thanks to donors who offered matched donations, while other supporters successfully challenged members of the York community to go above and beyond in aid of students and mental health causes at York.
The raised sum is enough to support:
- 12 extra York Opportunity Scholarships, to help those from less advantaged backgrounds access higher education at York;
- 35 extra York Futures Scholarships, to support York students in securing opportunities that will boost their employability after graduation;
- 2 extra Equal Access Scholarships, to help asylum-seeking students access higher education at York;
- 2 entire rounds of Mentally Fit York grants for University and community projects to improve mental health on local, national and international scales, and;
- 1 entire round of YuFund grants to support student clubs, groups and societies.
Mary Haworth, Director of Philanthropic Partnerships and Alumni at York, said: “One of the many things I love about Giving Day is that its success is down to many different people coming together to play a part; whether as an ambassador, a challenge-setter or one of the many donors around the world who helped to unlock these challenge gifts, every contribution counts. The collaboration that goes into supporting these causes is truly inspiring.
I’d like to say a special thanks to the University of York Council members, the Board of the University of York in America, Anthony O’Carroll, Professor Colin Mellors, Robin & Sue Perutz, Tom Miller, Brian Burgess, Michael Chiu, Randy Best, Dr Anthony H Wild, and Global Payments for their generosity. And not forgetting the excellent team that made this all possible.”
This year's Giving Day has been a huge success, with the support from our generous community playing a vital role in ensuring that as many students as possible can access a life changing education at York, as well as improving the student experience and transforming mental health. All of these funds are so important, and especially after what has been a particularly difficult 18 months.
If you missed Giving Day, but you’d like to support students and mental health at York with a gift, you can do so by making a donation here.