Thousands of students volunteer each year at York.
You can volunteer on initiatives in museums, social justice, sustainability or health and wellbeing in a wide range of community placement, projects and one-off activities.
"I volunteered for the charity Minds in Motion. They hold social and recreational events for people living with dementia. My role included organising all the logistics like booking venues, inviting guests and recruiting volunteers to run the session. Through my volunteering, I’ve realised that working for a charity is what I want to do in the future."
Heather, BA English Literature and Philosophy
Get involved with one of our team projects and gain experience in a specific area such as sustainability, health and care, and events and marketing.
- Be a classroom assistant alongside teachers in local schools through our award-winning York Students in Schools scheme.
- Help to increase awareness of mental health conditions, reduce loneliness in the elderly population, and bring music into schools, hospitals and care homes across the city through the Students' Union (YUSU)’s volunteering projects.
- Help to organise a music festival, create a community garden, support people with dementia and much more though YUSU.
- YUSU’s Raising and Giving (RAG), brings you fun, events and adventurous activities in aid of good causes.
- Become a leader of the Students' Union or the Graduate Students' Association by running in the elections.
- Set up or run a student society, media group or a sports club.
- Help at open days, chat online with prospective international students and facilitate school activities by becoming a student ambassador.
As an international student, it is important that you check that any voluntary work complies with the terms of your visa.