Our low altitude testbed enables low altitude research projects to be carried out and allows applications to be tested prior to deployment at high altitude.
It is based on a 21m3 Helikite, a tethered balloon/kite hybrid which is capable of deployments up to 400m altitude.
Over the next few months we will be undertaking the following trials:
- Wireless communications
- Angle dependent propagation measurements
- Physical layer network coding
- Environmental monitoring for smart cities
- Leveraging York City Environmental Observatory activity
- Plan to assess tree health in the city
- Initial trials in the Scarcroft Road area of York
- Urban pollution monitoring
- Measurement of CO, CO2 NOx and particulates in dense urban areas
- Trial in outskirts of Leeds