UK University libraries
Reference use of other libraries, using your York University Card:
All SCONUL (National and Higher Education) libraries will allow members of the University free reference use of their physical collections (such as print books and journals and microfilms).
IT facilities and electronic library services are not normally available.
You will be subject to the regulations of the host institution.
Postgraduate students and staff
You can use the libraries for reference throughout the year. Access arrangements vary between libraries, but normally you will need to show your University or Library card when you visit.
You can use the libraries for reference during the vacations of the host institution. You should be prepared to show your valid York University Card. Check the website of the library you want to use for the vacation dates and opening hours. To use the libraries for reference during term-time you will need to apply online for reference only SCONUL access.
[Back to the top]
SCONUL Access provides a free borrowing scheme for staff, postgraduates, and part-time, distance learning and placement students. There are over 170 libraries participating in the scheme.
IT facilities and electronic library services are not normally available and you may not be able to borrow from some collections.
Who can use SCONUL Access?
- Academic staff on open or fixed term contracts
- Postgraduate research students registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification awarded purely by research
- Full-time taught Masters students. (A few libraries are not giving borrowing membership to full-time Masters students. They are Cardiff, Dundee, London School of Economics)
- Registered part-time and distance learning students. You must be registered on a course leading to a University award running for a minimum of one year
- Full-time students on a placement of six weeks or more
Franchise students are not eligible to use the scheme (see SCONUL Access above).
Applying for SCONUL Access
- To apply for SCONUL Access you must be of good standing with the University Library and have no outstanding charges or overdue items.
- You can apply online for SCONUL Access using the SCONUL Access website
- We will confirm your application via email within 24 hours.
- If there is a problem with your library account your application may be denied. If this occurs please contact the Library.
- Your access will be valid for up to three years, or for your period of registration or the length of the course or placement, if earlier. You can renew if your course or placement continues by submitting a new online application
Visiting the libraries
- Check the websites of individual participating libraries for their opening hours and other local conditions (for example, new tickets may only be issued during office hours, also it is possible that you will need to supply a passport sized photograph). If you will need specialist help during your visit, please contact the library in advance.
- Print off the email confirmation of your SCONUL Access and take this, along with your York University Card, to the institution you wish to use. You will be issued with a library card, which will have the same expiry date as your SCONUL Access form.
- You will be subject to the regulations of the library you are using and will be responsible for any fines or replacement costs incurred. Individual libraries' requirements and borrowing rights will vary. Your card can be withdrawn if you infringe the rules of the host library