Student Telephony Service (STS)
The University does not provide telephones in student bedrooms unless there is a specific requirement.
Study bedroom internal telephone numbers are in the range 0600 to 0699. The external number is 0843 005 followed by the internal number; for example the external number for internal number 0600 is 0843 005 0600.
To make calls from study bedroom phones you need to purchase a Trust Phonecard. Calls made to 0800/0808 freephone numbers (except for Trust Phonecard and certain other helplines) are barred and if dialed via the "Trust Phonecard" platform will be or charged at premium rates. Typically these charges will be 5 pence per minute to 0800 numbers, 10 pence per minute for 0845 and 13 pence for 0870 numbers.
IT Services provide a connection to the internet, and other network facilities, from all on-campus College accommodation, and some off-campus residences. For more details see http://www.york.ac.uk/it-services/connect/nas/
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- How do I make an external call from my study bedroom telephone?
- How do I make a call from any other phone?
- How do people outside the University contact me?
- What do I do if I have a problem with my phone?
- I have a problem with the Trust Phonecard service, what is the Trust Phonecard Customer Services Number?
- I have lost my Trust Phonecard card/Its been stolen. What can I do?
- What should I do if I receive a malicious phone call?
- My parents abroad are having problems ringing the 0843 number?
There are two types of "Trust Phonecard" cards. A pre-paid £5 card and an account card that requires crediting from a credit/debit card. You will need to obtain a "Trust Phonecard" Phone card. (Information Centre hold spare blank cards. Costcutter outlets sell £5 pre-paid cards). Details about the card are available at http://www.trustphonecard.co.uk/
- Dial 1414;
- You will be asked to enter the 11 digit PIN number that is on the back of the card under the silver seal. (you will need to charge your phone card using a credit or debit card if there is insufficient funds to make a call).
- When asked, dial the telephone number you require.
- At the end of your call you can immediately make a follow-on call by pressing ## on the handset keypad.
From telephones not on the University network you need to dial 0800 018 4478 and then follow the voice prompts. You can also make calls from your mobile phone by dialing 0207 984 4810 (remember you will also be charged by your mobile provider for the UK national call).
You will find your external phone number printed on the label on your handset. This number will be in the range 0843 005 xxxx. It works the same way as a standard telephone number and costs 5p per minute including vat at all times. To dial the number from abroad the caller should dial +44843 005 0xxx (note that the last 4 digits match the 4 digits of the internal number!).
- Some study bedrooms have more than one socket on the wall, ensure you have plugged the telepone into the correct socket! Likewise some telephones sockets require an adaptor to be used to convert the data socket to a telephone socket (if you are unsure ask at the College Reception).
- If the phone still does not work, report the fault to telephony by emailing email@example.com. Ensure you include your room number, telephone extension number, and a brief description of the fault.
- Please note that damage to the telephone equipment in your room will be billed to you. Repair/replacement costs are £15 for a telephone, £4 for an adaptor and £35 for a damaged socket.
- An engineer will normally repair socket/cabling faults that have been reported within 10 working days.
- If the fault has not been repaired within 10 working days please email telephony again.
I have a problem with the Trust Phonecard service, what is the Trust Phonecard Customer Services Number?
The customer service number for the Trust Phonecard service is 0808 144 3709 (Dial 1413 on campus) and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (excluding Christmas day). This call is free.
Please keep a note of your account card number. If your card is lost/stolen, call the Trust Phonecard Customer Services on 1413 immediately (0808 144 3709 if you are off Campus). Quote your account number to stop the original card from being used. Any remaining credit can then be transferred to a new account card.
- Remain calm.
- Try not to encourage the caller with an emotional response.
- Remember it's your phone and you are in control.
- Do not enter into a conservation. Simply put the receiver down beside the phone and ignore it for a few minutes before replacing it gently.
- If the caller continues to phone you, don't say anything when you pick up the handset - a genuine caller will speak first.
- If the caller doesn't say anything, don't try to get them to speak - just replace the handset gently if no one speaks.
- Don't ever give out any details about yourself or your family unless you are absolutely sure you know and trust the caller.
If the calls continue, inform security on extension 4444 and keep a record of the date, time and content of each phone call. This may help the authorities trace the caller.
You may wish to consider having your internal phone number changed, or barring incoming calls, contact the University Telephony Section for further advise by emailing Telephony Section or telephone extension 322222.
The 0843 005 0xxx is a fairly new number range for the UK and some countries abroad may not yet have updated their databases to allow their subscibers to call the numbers. If this is the case they should contact their provider and ask them to allow access to these numbers. It may be worth them buying a pre paid calling card (after first checking it allows 0843 numbers).