Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Friday 14 February 2014
CAHR is co-hosting a Human Rights Council side event, Creating a safe and enabling environment for human rights defenders, in Geneva on 11 March 2014.
Posted on Friday 7 February 2014
CAHR offers 3-year University Teaching Scholarship for doctoral student conducting research on human rights defenders at risk.
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.
For more information about the MA, LLM and PhD programmes taught at CAHR, download the CAHR brochure (PDF , 449kb).