Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Tuesday 15 September 2015
Two human rights experts from the University of York have been awarded funding from the Economic and Social Research Council’s (ESRC) Urgency Call for proposals related to the Mediterranean migration crisis.
Posted on Friday 28 August 2015
CAHR wishes to appoint a Research Associate and a Research Administrator, funded by the Open Society Foundation, to support its new Human Rights Defender Hub.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the summer 2015 edition of CAHRnews no: 4 (PDF , 752kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.