Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Monday 20 July 2015
Sherif Azer, PhD candidate at Centre for Applied Human Rights and the York Law School, has been awarded the prestigious Civil Society Scholar Award (CSSA) by Open Society Foundations.
Posted on Thursday 11 June 2015
The Centre for Applied Human Rights offers one scholarship for a student on the MA in Applied Human Rights and one for a student on the LLM in International Human Rights Law and Practice in 2015-16.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the winter/spring 2015 edition of CAHRnews no:3 (PDF , 1,110kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.