Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Tuesday 15 April 2014
The York Human Rights City Network, an innovative city-based human rights initiative, has received continued funding for another three years from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
Posted on Wednesday 19 March 2014
Martin Jones is participating in the African Commission study group meeting in Accra, Ghana.
Read more about activities at CAHR in 2013-14 in the first edition of CAHRnews (PDF , 1,526kb).
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.
For more information about the MA, LLM and PhD programmes taught at CAHR, download the CAHR brochure (PDF , 449kb).