Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Thursday 11 June 2015
The Centre for Applied Human Rights offers one scholarship for a student on the MA in Applied Human Rights and one for a student on the LLM in International Human Rights Law and Practice in 2015-16.
Posted on Friday 29 May 2015
Lena Opfermann presents her research findings at South African universities.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the winter/spring 2015 edition of CAHRnews no:3 (PDF , 1,110kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.