Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Wednesday 15 October 2014
Martin Jones has been invited to give a keynote address on October 22nd in Tunis at the 10th World Conference of the International Association for Refugee Law Judges.
Posted on Friday 3 October 2014
Human rights defenders on the CAHR's Protective Fellowship Scheme express solidarity and condolences on the occassion of the burial of Kenyan human rights defender Humphrey Kimani Ndengwa.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.
For more information about the MA, LLM and PhD programmes taught at CAHR, download the CAHR brochure (PDF , 449kb).