Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Tuesday 19 May 2015
CAHR staff have been interviewed by the refugee crisis in the Mediterranean and in Southeast Asia by BBC Radio York and BBC One Breakfast respectively.
Posted on Friday 8 May 2015
On Tuesday the 5th May CAHR hosted a one-day workshop on Risk and Protection supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations Human Rights Initiative.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the winter/spring 2015 edition of CAHRnews no:3 (PDF , 1,110kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.