Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Thursday 16 April 2015
Matthew Evans, who did both his MA and PhD at the Centre for Applied Human Rights, recently published an article based on his doctoral work in the Journal of Human Rights.
Posted on Monday 30 March 2015
Students on CAHR's MA and LLM programmes organised the York Human Rights Film Festival that runs under the auspices of the York Human Rights City Network.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the winter/spring 2015 edition of CAHRnews no:3 (PDF , 1,110kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.