Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
- Distance learning and short course options available
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
Focused on applied research into:
- human rights defenders at risk
- refugee law and policy
- transitional justice and legal empowerment
- international development and the environment
Posted on Wednesday 28 October 2015
CAHR together with Amnesty International and the Human Rights and Social Justice Research Institute (London Metropolitan University) release a special issue on the security and protection of human rights defenders in the International Journal of Human Rights.
Posted on Thursday 22 October 2015
CAHR together with Al-Kawakibi Democracy Transition Center and Impunity Watch have launched their first report on the Transitional Justice Barometer project.
Read more about activities at CAHR in the summer 2015 edition of CAHRnews no: 4 (PDF , 752kb)
and in the Newsletter Archive.
Read more about CAHR's involvement in the University's research in Plotting a Research Path to Social Justice (PDF , 2,056kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.