York’s fourth annual Giving Day raises a record breaking £239,000
Posted on 2 December 2022
The total was made up from gifts of all sizes from staff members, students, alumni and friends from 32 countries in 6 of the world’s continents. 99 Ambassadors for York joined in by spreading the word to their networks across the world, and a team of 25 student fundraisers were involved in securing support for Giving Day causes from alumni living in the UK.
£75,000 of donations to the day were doubled thanks to an incredibly generous match donation given by Dr Anthony H Wild, an alumnus and supporter of the University - this represents the single largest donation to any York Giving Day. Other supporters successfully challenged members of the York community to go above and beyond in aid of students and mental health causes at York, for which we are very grateful, and a full list of the challenges set (and unlocked) can be found here.
The raised sum is enough to support:
- 23 extra York Opportunity Scholarships, to help those from less advantaged backgrounds access higher education at York
- 137 extra York Futures Scholarships, to support York students in securing opportunities that will boost their employability after graduation
- 2 extra Equal Access Scholarships, to help asylum-seeking students access higher education at York
- 2 entire rounds of Mentally Fit York grants for University and community projects to improve mental health on local, national and international scales
- 2 entire rounds of YuFund grants to support student clubs, groups and societies.
Here are some of the comments left by donors on Giving Day, which really highlight what the day was about and the whole York community coming together to support the causes that matter to them:
- “I love seeing our community come together to support these important causes. I hope it's the best Giving Day ever!”
- “As a scholarship recipient myself, I deeply appreciate how financial support can help change one's trajectory.”
- “Being part of societies was the best part of my university experience, so I wanted to help others enjoy this important part of uni life”
- “York started me on the road to a good career; hoping you get the same.”
- “Because mental health affects us all.”
- “York is an inspiring community, one I am proud to be part of & give back too!”
Every contribution to Giving Day will go towards making a difference to ensuring as many students as possible can access a life changing education at York, as well as making the most of the student experience, and funding ground-breaking mental health research at York. It is humbling to have such a generous community.
If you missed Giving Day, but you’d like to support students and mental health at York with a gift, you can do so by making a donation here.