Information for students

Information on these pages is accurate to the best of the University's knowledge and based on advice from the UK government and national bodies for universities. We will update and amend information as further details emerge.

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and is now in a transition period to try to reach and ratify an agreement with EU member states. Unless an extension is sought, transition will end on 31 December 2020.

Our priority is to ensure we are doing all that we can to support you if you're directly affected by the UK leaving the European Union. The following updates and frequently asked questions are designed to help you understand the current status of events and signpost you to further information and support.

Tuition fees for EU nationals

University of York policy is to ensure all our students have complete fee certainty for their entire courses. In accordance with the Government announcement on 28 May 2019, we can confirm that if you're a current EU student or an EU national who began their studies in the 2017/18, 2018/19 or will begin your studies in the 2019/20 and 2020/21 academic years you will only be liable to pay UK fees for the duration of your studies, even if the course concludes after the UK's exit from the EU. This covers undergraduate and postgraduate taught and research courses.

The government has also confirmed that if you're an eligible EU national joining the University in the 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 and 2020/21 academic years you will also have access to student loans for the duration of your course, even if your course concludes after the UK's exit from the EU.


Status, visas and travel

Up to 31 December 2020:

  • if you are a new or continuing student from an EU member state you may continue to enter and study in the UK without the need for a visa
  • ID cards and passports will be sufficient documentation
  • European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) will remain valid
  • you are encouraged to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). Applications close 30 June 2021 and there is no charge to apply
  • EUSS will confer pre-settled status on successful applicants. If you gain pre-settled status there will be no need for a visa after the freedom of movement ends on 31 December
  • after five years qualifying residency in the UK, you can apply for settled status
  • if successful in gaining pre-settled status you're not obliged to remain in the UK on completion of your studies
  • family members of successful applicants can apply to join them in the UK
  • EUSS will save hundreds of pounds in visa fees
  • if you are an EU student who doesn’t apply for EUSS but wishes to remain in the UK after 31 December 2020, a visa will be required. It is not yet known where the visa application will have to be made.

1 January 2021 onwards:

  • if you are a new student who arrives from an EU member state you will require a visa to study in the UK
  • UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will detail how the application process will work in due course
  • EHIC will no longer be valid and it is likely that you will need to make a healthcare payment as part of your visa application
  • it's not yet known what the healthcare arrangements will be for continuing students
  • EUSS will not be available to those arriving after 31 December 2020.

Yes. There will be no change to immigration status for EU students who are already here or who arrive before the end of the government’s Brexit implementation period on 31 December 2020.

According to the British Council:

  • the UK's decision to leave the EU does not have any immediate implications for your status if you are an EU student in the UK
  • if you are an EU student applying for a place at a university or further education institution in the UK 2019/20 and 2020/21 academic year you will continue to be eligible for ‘home fee status’, which means you will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of your studies
  • if you have already started your course you are guaranteed your existing status for the duration of your studies
  • these guarantees apply for the full duration of the course, even if the course finishes after the UK leaves the EU.
  • after this, the process is still to be confirmed. The UK Government and universities in the UK are working to keep the system as simple as possible.
  • the UK has reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

The latest government information on visiting the UK after Brexit:

If you are travelling on official University business, make sure you are registered on the travel log and covered by the University’s travel insurance.

If you are planning to travel over the Brexit period, please let your supervisor or Departmental Administrator know where you are travelling to and when you are expected back in the UK. Please let us know as soon as possible if you are unable to return as planned.

The latest government advice on UK citizens visiting the EU after Brexit, including travel, passports, health insurance, driving, pets and mobile phone charges:

If you're travelling on official University business make sure you are registered on the travel log and covered by the University’s travel insurance.

Please get in touch with your Departmental Administrator as soon as possible if you are experiencing problems returning to the UK as planned for the start of term.

The International Student Support Team will provide information and advice about the immigration process to you if you require a visa to study in the UK.


If you're a current student from the EU or are applying to courses starting in 2019/20 you will not see any changes to your loan eligibility or fee status.

If you're applying to start courses in England and Scotland in 2020/21 you're also guaranteed the same fee status. This guarantee will apply for the full duration of the course, even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU.

If you're an EU undergraduate you're currently eligible to apply for Tuition Fee Loans from the UK Government, and if you're a 2019/20 student you will still have this option. If you're an eligible student currently receiving a loan you will continue to receive this support for the duration of your course.

If you're eligible for bursaries from the University and meet the household income criteria, you will continue to receive your funding.

EU undergraduates are not eligible for loans for living costs, such as Maintenance Loans.

At the moment we have no indication from the government regarding any change to the terms of the loans and repayment system and whether these will change if you're a current student.

If you're an EU postgraduate student and you're currently eligible for Masters Loans and Doctoral Loans you can continue to choose how you use these loans, ie tuition fees and living costs. At this time we believe this will continue if you arrive in 2019/20.

Studying and working

No. At the moment the government position is that if you're an EU national resident in the UK by 31 Dec 2020 you can apply for settled or pre-settled status, including students.

The University is providing help and support if you're an EU member of staff to ensure we retain the skills and expertise of our researchers, teaching and support staff.

The University will support you if you're an EU member of staff looking to apply for settled or pre-settled status.

The University has set up a Brexit Planning Group who are looking at different scenarios to ensure we preserve the talented research, teaching and support staff at the University. We're also building partnerships with institutions overseas and looking at securing alternative funding to maintain and grow the world-leading research we do at York. We believe such measures will help retain existing staff, and help us continue to attract talent from around the globe.

On 8 April 2019 the government published updated guidance on Erasmus+ in the UK if there’s no Brexit deal. This states that if the UK leaves the EU under the terms of the withdrawal agreement, Erasmus+ funding payments and bids will continue as normal until the end of the Erasmus+ programme in 2020.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the government will engage with the EU Commission with the aim of securing the UK’s continued full participation in Erasmus+ until 2020. There's a range of options for the UK’s continued participation in Erasmus+ until 2020, which will have different levels of access to Erasmus+ programme activity. The government will need to reach agreement with the EU for UK organisations to continue participating in Erasmus+ projects and is seeking to hold these discussions with the EU.

If necessary, the University will continue to support and invest in outward mobility programmes and has agreed to replace Erasmus+ grants and discounted fees, to the same level of funding if you're a York student on eligible European study and work placements in 2019/20 and 2020/21. This means that if you have committed to, or are signing up for European study or work placements to commence in 2019/20 or 2020/21, you will receive the same amount of funding as before. More information is available for current York students on the Centre for Global Programmes' finance and funding webpage.

The University is supporting the Universities UK International (UUKi) national campaign #SupportStudyAbroad asking the UK government to commit to continue funding study abroad opportunities for UK students, even if the UK cannot negotiate continued participation in the Erasmus+ programme.

Current York students going abroad

To the best of our current knowledge, placements and funding if you're a student from a UK university on Erasmus+ funded programmes this academic year (2018/19) will not be affected by the UK’s plans to leave the EU.

As recommended by the government, the University has submitted its annual bid for Erasmus+ funding in 2019/20.

According to Government guidance the draft EU Withdrawal Agreement means that if you're a student in a UK-based organisation you will be able to continue to participate in Erasmus+ exchanges and placements post-exit until the end of the current Erasmus+ programme in December 2020.

More information is available if you're a current students on the Centre for Global Programmes' finance and funding webpage.

Visiting students at York

There is a lack of clarity over what will happen to the UK's access to Erasmus+ membership should the UK leave the EU under no deal conditions.

The University will play its part in ensuring that any new future arrangements continue to support student mobility. Our university partners throughout Europe also wish student mobility to continue.


If you have any questions about the Erasmus scheme, contact the Centre for Global Programmes:

If you are a visiting student and have any questions about your Erasmus+ funding, please contact your home university.

Yes, during any transition period. The government has previously said that the rights of EU citizens to work in the EU will remain broadly the same after the official leaving date, up to 31 December 2020 in the eventuality of an agreed deal or even if there is no deal.

During the transition period agreed in the draft Withdrawal Agreement, the UK remains bound by EU legislation. We understand that the UK, including UK universities, will continue to be able to access EU programmes on the current basis.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit EU placements abroad negotiated after the date of our exit that were traditionally supported by Erasmus+ arrangements will no longer be financed by this scheme. In this scenario the University will make every effort to facilitate arrangements to ensure that if you have a compulsory year abroad you're able to progress in your studies, and we're in dialogue already with our international exchange partners about this.

Classes and assessments are expected to go ahead as scheduled. We also expect that field trips and field research will continue as scheduled. In the event of travel disruptions or changes to visa requirements, you should contact the trip organisers in your departments for further information. The University and your department will do everything they can to ensure that teaching and learning are not affected, even if that learning is happening off-campus.

Healthcare and support

There remains some uncertainty around the exact rules regulating access to healthcare and whether you will need to pay for your care in the UK if you are an EU citizen after Brexit.

The University is working with city partners including the NHS and is constantly seeking clarity on this matter. Updates will be made to these Q&As when more details emerge.

See the latest government advice on healthcare after Brexit.

The University of York is an international community, welcoming staff, students, visitors and partners from around the world. We have and always will see ourselves as a global institution.

There's lots of support available if you're an international student worried about the implications for Brexit:

There is a national group UKCEN (UK citizenship for European nationals) whose main objective is "to facilitate the acquisition of EEA residence documentation, status under the EU Settlement Scheme and British citizenship for nationals of EEA countries and their family members":

If you suffer unwelcome comments or behaviours from other students we encourage you to report this as soon as possible using the online student misconduct form.

There is more information on the support available to you on the student support pages: