Accessibility statement

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

EU flag | Credit: Giampaolo Squarcina/Flickr-cc-by-nc-nd-2-0

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) for students resident by 31 December 2020

Students from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who are resident in the UK for a course of study before 11pm on 31 December 2020, should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

The application is free of charge, and can be applied for using a mobile app, or the online application.

Students who have been resident in the UK for five years or more will receive settled status. Students resident for less than five years will receive pre-settled status, and can apply for settlement once five years of residency has been reached.

Please note, to qualify for either status you must not have been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in a 12 month period, unless for an important reason, in which case you could have had one absence of up to 12 months. If you are concerned about your absences from the UK, or would like to know more, please get in touch with International Student Support.

Settlement and pre-settlement provide the same status in the UK given to a British national, including access to the NHS (National Health Service) for healthcare.

The deadline for applying for EUSS is 30 June 2021.

Family members may also apply to EUSS provided they are spouses/civil partners or 'durable' partners, children, dependent grandchildren and dependent parents or grandparents. Family members do not have to be EU nationals.

Citizens from Ireland are exempt from these requirements, and can travel into the UK and the Common Travel Area for work or study using an Irish passport or national ID card. From 1 January 2021, Irish nationals can continue to travel freely into the UK; a visa, or application to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) is not required.

Student Visa for students resident from 1 January 2021

Students who arrive into the UK after 11pm on 31 December 2020, who have not previously been resident in the UK, must apply for an appropriate visa.

The Student visa is for students studying for more than six months.

The Standard Visitor visa is for students studying short courses of six months maximum. Visiting students should apply for the Standard Visitor visa. All nationals from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are classed as ‘non-visa nationals’. This means that the Standard Visitor visa can be applied for at the UK border, with no need to apply in advance of arrival.

Useful links

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) (

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)