LGBTI+ staff and students travelling abroad

Attitudes towards LGBT+ people vary around the world. This guidance has been prepared to raise awareness of the issues and challenges that might face LGBT+ individuals when travelling outside the UK.

Key points to consider

Cultural acceptance and law can vary from country to country. The University encourages all its staff and students to research the country they are travelling to.
Some countries may recognise LGBT+ legal rights, however, this may not be reflected in a country’s culture and cultural values.

Personal safety and security

  • Research local laws, customs and attitudes of the country you are planning to visit. Information about individual countries can be found as part of the government's foreign travel advice (
  • Avoid expressing your views on the subject of gender identity and sexual orientation while in public spaces in case they may be seen as contentious in an environment where the local customs and culture is less tolerant and not open to discussion on these topics.
  • Make sure you are aware of the contact details of your local embassy and emergency services, such as the police and travel insurance provider.
  • Some hotels may not accept booking from same sex couples, so please check before you travel.
  • When you are not familiar with the local area try to plan your journey route in advance to avoid getting lost.
  • Try to avoid potentially risk situations, don’t do anything you wouldn't normally do at home

Passport identity of trans travellers

You will usually be able to a get a passport in your new name if you provide documentary evidence detailing the date and circumstances of the name change. You are advised to start this process as soon as possible, to avoid delays in processing your new passport.

University procedures

Any member of staff or student travelling on authorised University business is required to log their trip on the online Travel Log (login required) and adhere to travel risk assessment requirements. For more information see business travel.

If a student has any concerns about a particular study abroad opportunity, they may wish to raise them with Global Opportunities

What you should do if you have a problem overseas?

Contact your local embassy where staff will be able to provide advice and guidance.

The University’s Travel Insurance provider has an emergency contact number for anyone who is travelling on University business and who has registered their trip on the Travel Log.

Useful links

Contact us

Equality and Diversity Office
+44 (0)1904 324680

Contact us

Equality and Diversity Office
+44 (0)1904 324680