We face global challenges that threaten ourselves and our planet. Feeding a growing population and coping with the effects of climate change, while protecting biodiversity and the services it provides, requires innovation, cooperation between diverse stakeholders and a willingness to cross the boundaries between academic disciplines.
Who we are
York Environmental Sustainability Institute (YESI) was set up by the University of York to facilitate and deliver interdisciplinary research in environmental sustainability.
We harness the talents of world class researchers to generate the evidence for sustainable solutions to global challenges, focusing on three key research themes:
Our approach is based on equal partnerships between social, physical and life science, generating impacts at local, regional and global scales.
I'm delighted to be taking on this role and look forward to catalysing new and exciting interdisciplinary environmental sustainability research across campus, as well as collaborating with external partners in both the UK and overseas.
Professor Lindsay Stringer, YESI Director
- Deliver world-class interdisciplinary research on environmental sustainability
- Foster equal partnerships between social, physical and life sciences
- Inform environmental policy and future funding landscapes
- Enhance the University of York's position as a global leader in interdisciplinary research
What we do
- Identify and disseminate upcoming research opportunities to partners and collaborators
- Host events and workshops to create networking opportunities
- Connect partners across our internal and external networks to foster innovation
- Offer practical and administrative support with proposal writing
- Liaise with funding bodies and institutions to progress proposals
- Publicise the outputs and impacts of projects