Study a language to broaden your knowledge and enhance your employability.
Our extracurricular LfA classes are open to everyone. Improve your language skills and cultural awareness among a diverse group of learners.
If you are a current University of York undergraduate student and wish to embed your language learning into your degree as a 20-credit elective module, please check the Languages at York and York Language Elective page.
Applications close 2 October 2023.
What LfA has to offer
- 2 hour-long weekly classes
- 18 weeks of teaching, from October until May
- Classes of no more than 20 students
- A diverse community of learners (university students and members of the public)
- Access to the University of York’s Library
- Self-study supported by our Virtual Learning Environment
- The possibility of gaining a certificate of completion
- £245 University of York students
- £325 Over 60s/students from other universities/schools
- £370 University of York staff/ members of the public
Languages and Levels
We do not have specific entry requirements. Although we mention ‘prerequisites’ in our course description, this is more to guide students. Provided that you feel confident of your current level, you can choose to go into whatever course you feel is appropriate (e.g. if you haven't got a GCSE but have lived in a country for a year or so then you could still go in a Lower Intermediate course or above).
To choose which level is right for you, please consult our guide.
To help you self-assess your level you can take our entry test for the following languages:
- French (up to Upper Intermediate)
- German (up to Upper Intermediate)
- Italian (up to Upper Intermediate)
- Japanese (up to Intermediate)
- Spanish (up to Upper Intermediate)
For more information on our course aims and objectives click on the relevant link below. Please note that our descriptors make references to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
Register for an LfA course
Registration for the LfA courses is now closed.
If you have signed up for one of our courses you will receive your welcome email shortly.
Practical information for LfA students
If you are new to our programme and are not a student or member of staff at the University of York, please consult our GUIDE for new LfA students with key information.
- Thursday 21st September from 10:30 to 11:30 at PZA/103 Lecture Theatre, Campus East - Piazza Building
- Thursday 21st September from 15:00 to 16:00 at ATB/056 Lecture Theatre, Campus West - Seebohm Rowntree Building
- Wednesday 27th September from 15:00-16:00 at SLB/118 Lecture Theatre, Campus West - Spring Lane Teaching Building
Dates for LfA Teaching 2023-2024
Please see the LfA Timetable 2023/24 for an overview of our class times.
|Semester 1 - Lessons 1-8|
Start Week 4 (beginning Monday 16 October 2023)
End Week 11 (finishing Friday 15 December 2023)Consolidation Week/half-term (no LfA class): 30 October- 5 November 2023
|Semester 2 - Lessons 9-18|
Start Week 1 (beginning Monday 12 February 2024)
End Week 10 (finishing Friday 3 May 2024)Consolidation Week/Vacation (no LfA class): 25 March - 7 April 2024