CITY College summer programme
We launched our first summer programme for CITY College students in July 2022.
The students taking part spent two weeks visiting York and participating in a packed programme which spanned academic, cultural and social experiences, and gave great feedback on their time here:
I strongly believe that these types of courses are exceptional for any student who is keen to broaden their horizons by interacting with other international students and witnessing life on an amazing campus in a different country. It is an exceptional way to experience everyday life in the United Kingdom and test themselves by interacting in a different environment than the one they were used to.
The aims of the summer programme are:
- to provide students with the opportunity to expand their knowledge of British culture through attending academic talks and seminars
- to give students a better understanding of the cultural differences between their home country and the UK
- to provide students with the opportunity to meet and interact with other students studying at the University of York
- to provide participants with the opportunity to visit sites of historical interest in York and its surroundings, placing these in the context of UK history and culture.
Students took part in lectures and seminars across a range of disciplines:
- Post-Brexit UK with Dr Simon Sweeney
- Language and Identity with Dr Dominic Watt
- Modern Britain with Dr Mark Roodhouse
- British Cinema with Professor Andrew Higson
Every lecturer that we had during the course was open to answering any questions we had and ready to discuss the topic with us instead of teaching us throughout the whole class... the small number of students gave me the chance to interrupt the lecturer in order to ask a lot more questions about the topic to get a greater understanding of the lecture.
As well as participating in the academic side of the programme, the students were able to enjoy social activities and trips with students from South Korea and some of our own York students. There were shopping trips, the chance to sample English beer in a pub, a film night and a sports and games afternoon.
In addition to enjoying the opportunity to see our beautiful city of York and the magnificent Minster, a further highlight was a full-day trip to the picturesque seaside town of Whitby to experience both its cultural significance and its culinary delights with some of the best fish and chips in the north of England!
I fully enjoyed the company of the other international students and I learned a lot of new information about cultural etiquette around the world and in Britain as well through the British culture course. Finally, the trip to Whitby was wonderful and I would suggest that everyone visits Whitby Abbey at the top of the cliff.