Research Postgraduate Fees & Funding

Tuition fees

Tuition fees for research degrees (MA by Research, MPhil, PhD) are set by the University. Information regarding the fees for both Home/EU and Overseas students can be found through the following link. The Archaeology department charges fees at the lower (classroom-based) rate. In addition, there is advice about determing your fee status for international students, and a useful guide about living costs and your complete student budget.

Departmental funding

Current funding opportunities

The department often holds funded PhD studentships tied to particular projects or research or training networks. These opportunities will appear here as they become available. Current projects are:

  • Plants in pots: The molecular and isotopic identification of cereal residues in prehistoric pottery 

    The British Museum, Department of Scientific Research and BioArCh, University of York

    Applications are invited for a PhD studentship, to be undertaken at University of York (BioArCh, Department of Archaeology) and the British Museum (Department of Scientific Research). This studentship, funded by the Wellcome Trust, will be jointly supervised by Carl Heron and Caroline Cartwright at the British Museum and Professor Oliver Craig at the University of York with close collaboration of Professor Dorian Fuller (UCL). The studentship is for a three-year (full-time) project entitled ‘’Plants in pots: The molecular and isotopic identification of cereal residues in prehistoric pottery”, to commence at the earliest on the 1st October 2017. The student will need to spend concentrated periods of time both at the British Museum and the University of York.

    DEADLINE JULY 24, 2017

University funding

  • Home/EU students: The university receives Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funding for PhD students through the White Rose Consortium of the Arts and Humanities (WRoCAH), a network between the universities of York, Sheffield, and Leeds. WRoCAH is able to offer over 50 AHRC studentships per year to candidates with a place for doctoral study at the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield or York, across all humanities subject areas. Successful candidates will receive funding for full tuition fees as well as a grant towards living expenses. Eligibility criteria, studentship values, deadlines, and how to apply is detailed on the university's AHRC/WRoCAH studentships page.  Please note the deadlines carefully, remembering that you must first have applied for a place for a PhD in Archaeology before submitting your WRoCAH application, and must have an offer by the time WRoCAH consider the applications. So you should apply for a PhD place at least 4 weeks before the WRoCAH deadline to allow time for processing.
  • Overseas students: The University offers a variety of full and partial scholarships for international students who pay fees at the overseas rate. There is a separate application form that you will need to complete and submit for these scholarships. The deadline for applications to these scholarships is 30 April of the year in which you wish to start your degree. You must hold an offer from the department in order to apply for the overseas student scholarships, but you do not have to have accepted your place to be considered.

External awards

Outside of the department and the university, there are other ways to fund your postgraduate study, although they tend to be limited. The university has a guide listing other funding sources and sites which aggregate scholarship opportunities (although note that these will cover both MA and PhD funding.)

For international students, we recommend that you research funding streams within your home country, as well as those within the UK.