We're offering eight scholarships for students from China, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey in partnership with the British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign.
In partnership with the British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign, the University of York is offering eight scholarships to students in China, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey applying for a variety of postgraduate courses.
The GREAT Scholarships 2023 programme, launched by the British Council together with 49 UK universities, supports postgraduate students from Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam to access world-class UK higher education opportunities.
The scholarship programme offers financial support of a minimum of £10,000 to students pursuing one-year postgraduate study in the UK. Students can apply for courses in a range of subjects, at the 49 institutions across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The University of York GREAT Scholarships are open to applicants from the majority of postgraduate taught courses for China, Ghana, India, Nigeria and Thailand. Applicants from Pakistan and Turkey are only eligible if applying for one of our postgraduate Law programmes. Please see the eligibility section for a full list of courses and exclusions. We have one award available for each country, with the exception of China which will receive two awards this year. All awards will be paid as a tuition fee deduction.
Applicants will be assessed based on a written application and prior academic merit. Strong preference will be given to applicants with the strongest academic record (for example, a UK first class degree or equivalent)
Please note that applicants for the GREAT Scholarships at York should be passport holders of the People's Republic of China, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey.
For more information on the GREAT Scholarships 2023, please visit Study UK.
- British Council - China (britishcouncil.cn)
- British Council - Ghana (britishcouncil.org.gh)
- British Council - India (britishcouncil.in)
- British Council - Nigeria (britishcouncil.org.ng)
- British Council - Pakistan (britishcouncil.pk)
- British Council - Thailand (britishcouncil.or.th)
- British Council - Turkey (britishcouncil.org.tr)
Open to students from China, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- be a citizen of China, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey
- have a conditional or unconditional offer to study a one year postgraduate taught course at the University of York by 15 May 2023 (you don't need to have accepted the offer). Students from Pakistan and Turkey are eligible to apply if they have an offer to study one of the below courses:
- LLM Law
- LLM Art Law
- LLM International Corporate and Commercial Law
- LLM International Human Rights Law and Practice
- LLM Legal and Political Theory
- MA Applied Human Rights
- be paying fees at the overseas fee rate (any fee assessments must be completed by 15 May 2023)
- have met any language condition of your offer by 15 May 2023.
You will not be eligible if:
- you hold a 100 per cent tuition fee scholarship or are fully sponsored
- you are a current student of the University of York, having started your studies in a previous year
Students on the following pathways are not eligible for these scholarships:
- Hull York Medical School
- International Pathway College
- Distance/online learning courses
- Part-time courses
- Kaplan International College London
- GEMMA, CASPPER and Mundus MAPP
- Masters courses lasting longer than one year.
Application deadline: Monday 15 May 2023, 12pm BST
You must apply for this scholarship online. As part of the application, you will need to provide answers to questions about your course of study and your goals for the future.
We may request a document which confirms your nationality.
This is a competitive process, and only a small number of applicants per country will be successful.
A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
We aim to inform you of the outcome of your scholarship application by 9 June 2023.
Once offered a scholarship, you must:
- Accept the offer formally, following the link within your offer email
- Make York your firm choice
These actions must be completed by the deadline provided in your offer email. Otherwise, you will lose your scholarship, and it will be offered to a reserve candidate.
If you defer your place at the University of York, you cannot keep your scholarship, but you can reapply the following year.
GREAT scholarships may be combined with University of York departmental scholarships.
GREAT scholarships may be combined with external funding as long as this does not cover 100 per cent of your tuition fees.
Successful candidates will be required to represent the University of York and the British Council as an ambassador for the GREAT scheme.
Got a question about applying to York? Email our friendly International Team for advice and support.
If you've already applied to study at York please use You@York to upload any documents. Please do not email documents to us.