Leaving us? We're sad to you see go. Here's what you need to do before you depart.
- Check your departure day - by logging in at accommodation.york.ac.uk
- Clean your room and your communal areas
- Get rid of unwanted items - recycling or donating where possible
- Sign out your keys at your college reception
Moving out checklist
To avoid being charged, make sure to complete all of the tasks on our moving out checklist.
3 - 4 weeks before
- Check your departure date at accommodation.york.ac.uk
- Speak to your department if you're planning to leave before the end of week 10
- Change your address and consider redirecting your mail at royalmail.com/redirection
- Put your name and planned departure date on the post in your kitchen
- Put unwanted donatable items in your college's British Heart Foundation bank
- Leaving your bike over summer? Email transport-team
- Need summer accommodation? Book it at york.ac.uk/summer-accommodation
2 - 3 days before
Clean your bedroom
- Remove items and adhesives from your notice board and clean marks from your walls
- Dust and wipe down your surfaces (including skirting boards) and empty your bin.
- Clean your sink, taps and mirror and make sure that they are streak free.
- Clean the inside of your window and make sure the glass is streak-free.
- Empty and wipe your desk, shelves, drawers, wardrobe and other storage.
- Vacuum your carpet and leave it stain-free.
- Empty your bin.
Clean your ensuite (if you have one)
- Clean your walls, toilet and shower/bath. Wipe down your door and sink light.
- Sweep and wet clean/mop your ensuite floor. Empty your bathroom bin.
- Clean your sink, mirror and taps and make sure they are streak-free.
Clean you communal areas with your housemates
- Empty cupboards, surfaces and your fridge-freezer
- Clean the floor, cupboards, surfaces, fridge-freezer shelves, oven and microwave.
- Empty the recycling and waste bins into the external bins.
On the day
- Close your window, turn off your light and lock your door
- Put any final rubbish/recycling in the external bins.
- Check your mailroom/box.
- Sign your keys back in with your college receptionist.
If we need to clean or remove any rubbish, you may be charged additional fees, based on our standard charges. Even if you move out before your housemates, you may still be charged if your kitchen or corridor is left in an unsuitable condition. It’s worth making a plan with your housemates before you all go.
We'll let you know if you've accrued any standard charges after a room inspection, and notify you within 28 working days of the end of your contract. We’ll compare the condition of your room to the inventory you completed when you moved in, to make sure we don’t charge you for any previous damage.
What to do with your things
You can’t leave anything in your accommodation when you go, so we recommend that you start to clear out your unwanted items a few weeks before you’re due to leave.
Recycling and waste
During the departure period we will provide extra recycling facilities to encourage a reduction in waste generated during departure.
- Look out for your nearest red British Heart Foundation bins to donate your unwanted but usable goods to charity.
- Place recyclable waste in the clear bin bags provided and in your nearest external recycling bin.
- Leave any unwanted sharp utensils / knives in your kitchen drawers.
If you’re in 38, 40 or 44-week let room, your accommodation doesn’t include the summer vacation.
With YUSU's summer storage, you can store your belongings until your next room or house is ready to move into.
Simply pay per box with Kit Keeper, and use the student discount code 'YUSU' to receive 10% off.
Find out more at the YUSU reception or on the YUSU website.
If you’re in a 38, 40 or 44-week let room, your accommodation doesn’t include the summer vacation.
You may want to take advantage of our summer accommodation until your next room or house is ready to move into. You can also book on-campus accommodation for your graduation.
Accommodation for next year
If you haven’t organised accommodation for next year there are a few options to consider: