Report a problem with your room

If you have an emergency outside of office hours or on a public holiday, you should contact Security Services on +44 (0)1904 324444.

How to report a problem

Phone: +44 (0) 1904 325555
Out of hours: +44 (0) 1904 324444

Report it online

Phone: +44 (0) 1904 325101
Out of hours: +44 (0)1135 310999

Report it online

Phone: +44 (0) 1904 325101
Out of hours: +44 (0)1135 310999

Report it online

Phone: +44 (0) 1904 325555
Out of hours: +44 (0) 1904 324444

Report it online

Problem with something else?
If you're struggling to deal with something other than a maintenance issue, you should have a look at our living with others page, which will direct you to help for more personal matters.  

Track your problem

If you logged your complaint via Facilities Helpdesk

You can track its progress via the ‘My jobs request’ link on the web portal. Alternatively, call the Facilities helpdesk on +44 (0) 1904 324555. Please have your reference number or email address to hand.

If you logged your complaint via the Fault Reporting System

You can track its progress via the Fault reporting system. Alternatively, between Monday and Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm you can call +44 (0) 1904 325101. Please remember to quote your reference number or email.

Response times

The Facilities Helpdesk will use the information you provide to prioritise your request and assign it a completion due date, which you can view on the  web portal.

They have different categories of response based on the situation which should indicate how long your problem will likely take to fix.

Unhappy with the outcome?

If you're not happy about how your problem was solved, or you want to submit a complaint relating to your accommodation, follow the steps below.

Please note: Before you start the complaints process, please be sure to have reported your problem and given sufficient time for it to be looked at and resolved.

If, after reporting a problem, the issues in your accommodation remain unresolved , contact our team so we can try to fix it for you, This can be done in two ways:

  • Complete the Feedback Form on the email informing you the job has closed. This will then be escalated and investigated (Facilities Helpdesk only).
  • Contact the Accommodation Services team on or call us on  +44 (0) 1904 322165. We'll investigate and aim to get back to you within a week.

When can I make a stage 2 complaint?

The form requires you to provide details of when you told us about the problem and whether you followed this up, so we can make the appropriate team aware and give them the opportunity to resolve your issue. We cannot investigate your complaint unless you have followed each step of the process beforehand.

What will happen

If you do not feel we've addressed your problem appropriately, you can submit an Accommodation Services Complaint Form (MS Word , 24kb) and return it to

In assessing your complaint we'll look at:

  1. Whether there has been a breach of our agreement with you

  2. Whether action was taken to resolve your complaint within reasonable time

  3. Whether the complaint has been handled appropriately

If we find we have failed to meet any of the above, we'll advise on steps to rectify any outstanding issues, provide guidance on how the matter can be prevented in the future and offer an apology where appropriate.

Complaints we will not consider

  • Disturbance due to alterations or building work near your accommodation

  • Relocation to other accommodation

  • Loss of heating / hot water / water for less than 48 hours continuously

  • Loss of facilities / room use where suitable alternative facilities have been provided

  • Aesthetic issues, eg paint work

  • Noise or complaints in relation to the behaviour of other students. You should contact your College Administrator for this.

  • Problems outside the control of the University

When will I get a response?

We'll acknowledge your complaint within two working days and explain the next steps.

As part of the investigation we may contact you by phone or email, to talk through the situation and gather further information.

We often need to speak to multiple colleagues in the University to perform an investigation. We'll aim to respond within 28 working days. Should the investigation take longer, we'll contact you to let you know.

What type of outcome should I expect?

Our primary aim is to resolve any outstanding issues, after which we'll investigate any further points from your complaint form.

Only in exceptional circumstances where loss has occurred will we consider a compensatory payment. If a goodwill or compensation payment is awarded, a credit note will be issued to your student account which can be used towards future payments.

If you disagree with Accommodation Services’ response, you can request that your complaint is referred to a Complaints Panel.

You’ll need to notify that you would like a panel review, along with your reasons why. You need to submit this within 30 days of Accommodation Services' response.

Please be aware it may take time to arrange for all panel members to meet. The outcome of this may also take time to be reported back to you.

The panel will independently review your complaint and consider whether the decision made by Accommodation Services is fair and reasonable. Please be aware that as the complaint will be reviewed in full, the outcome may change and in some circumstances any offer of compensation could be revoked or reduced.

The Complaints Panel consists of:

  • The Head of Space Management

  • A Head of College (a College that you are not a member of)

  • The YUSU Welfare Officer

If you're dissatisfied with the Complaint Panel's decision, you're entitled to make a formal University complaint to the Registrar & Secretary.

The Formal Complaints Procedure should be used only where the matter is unresolved, after the complaint has approached the relevant Head of Department/Service under the Informal Complaints Procedure