Services and facilities
The Centre for Digital Heritage (CDH) connects the latest research with professional practice.
We work with clients around the world to build and extend their capacity to conduct exemplary digital heritage work. Drawing on our cross-disciplinary expertise, the CDH offers a range of consultancy and training services to support all of your digital needs.
Our offerings span the entire information pipeline – from recording and data analysis to archiving, public interpretation and community engagement. Our professional staff comprises internationally recognised digital heritage specialists with experience in visual, oral, sound, smell and touch-based multimedia technologies. We work both locally and abroad, from remote archaeological contexts to urban city centres.
Our projects range from small, community-driven data recording, to large-scale heritage development at UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The University of York is home to several world-leading digital archives and data management centres: the Archaeology Data Service, the Borthwick Institute for Archives, and York Digital Library. The CDH also draws upon a number of departmental facilities. The Department of Theatre, Film and Television, for example, is housed in a new £30m complex which provides superb opportunities for film, TV and theatre production and presentation, with state-of-the-art equipment, studios and post-production facilities.
Five-tier system of services
We offer a five-tier system of services to meet the full spectrum of heritage demands:
- Access to digital technologies to test their functionality and potential for application within your heritage organisation
- Skills training sessions to develop your capacities in using specific media to maximise impact
- Making sessions (including intensive, short-term development events, hack-a-thons and games jams) to experiment with the development of specific co-designed outputs, from apps to films, digital repositories and individually-tailored products
- Collaborative contracts where our staff work one-on-one – in ongoing, iterative fashion – with you to define, plan, develop and implement a fully co-created heritage recording, management, interpretation or engagement project
- Full consultancy where our staff work to your needs, producing research and interpretative outputs that marry best digital heritage practice with your individual or institutional goals.
To find out more please email email@example.com.