Accessibility statement

MSc in Chemistry (by Research)

Scientist in green chemistry lab

An MSc by Research is a  Masters level course during which you carry out a research project in your specific area of interest working under the supervision of an academic member of staff alongside the rest of their research group.  Find out more about the benefits of studying for a postgraduate Chemistry research degree at York

This is not a taught course and does not require completion of specific taught modules. The MSc by Research is often a popular choice for those who wish to see if they are suited to a research programme, and can provide a valuable stepping stone to those wishing to embark on a PhD programme.

There are now UK Government Masters loans are available for MSc by Research applicants

How long will it take me to complete an MSc by Research?

12 months when taken full time, or 24 months when taken part time. The part time option is particularly suitable for those who still wish to continue working throughout their studies.

Attendance times can be agreed with your supervisor depending on the nature of the research, and your other commitments.

For both options, there is an additional three months at the end of the project for you to write up your thesis.

How will I be assessed?

You will be required to write up the results of your research project in a thesis which will be examined by at least two examiners. In some cases an oral examination by be requested, but this is at the discretion of the examiners.

Although there are no formal taught modules for an MSc by Research, all research students are still required to complete the iDTC graduate training programme

What are the entry requirements for an MSc by Research?

The standard entry requirement for the MSc by Research is a minimum of a 2:2 or overseas equivalent in a relevant subject - chemistry, or chemistry related depending on the nature of the project.

Sometimes, individual circumstances such as previous experience and relevant work experience are also taken into account and applications are welcomed from interested applicants.

Students whose first language is not English will also need to meet the English Language requirements of both the University and the UKVI.

How much will I need to pay?

You will need to pay tuition fees for 12 months of study - this would be split in half if you were doing the MSc on a part time basis.

All students would also need to cover their living expenses throughout their studies. We recommend you have at least £10,000 per year for this but this figure can vary depending on your chosen accommodation and lifestyle.

Is there any funding available to help me do an MSc by Research?

Most MSc by Research students fund their own studies but there are sometimes funding opportunities available for particular projects. This will be advertised on this page.

Some students may be elgible for a UK Government Masters Loan.

Students from outside of the UK are welcome to apply for financial assistance from the Wild Fund which is held in the Department of Chemistry.

What can I do after an MSc by Research?

An MSc by Research will show potential employers that you have the motivation and commitment to complete a substantial piece of work independently. The MSc programme can enhance your technical abilitiy and chemical knowledge, as well as improve your transferable skills, making you a strong potential empoyee. Our previous MSc students have gone on to work for a variety of chemical companies as well as other industries and sectors.

Other MSc students choose to continue their studies and have successfully embarked on PhD programmes at York, around the UK and the rest of the world. The MSc programme provides a valuable insight into the demands of a PhD giving you the opportunity to see if a research programme is the right choice for you.

How do I apply for an MSc by Research?