Professor of Social Policy Research
Gillian has a first degree in Psychology and a PhD in Social Policy. She has been a researcher since she graduated, working in the third sector and at the Universities of Birmingham, Oxford, York, Leicester and Nottingham. She was appointed to a Chair at Leicester in 1993 and established a new research unit there. From 2001-2005, Gillian was Programme Director of the NIHR R&D Programme on Service Delivery and Organisation and from 2002-2004, Head of the Policy Research Programme, Department of Health. She returned to York in 2005 and was director of SPRU until 2014.
- BA, University of Liverpool
- PhD, University of Birmingham
Current / recently completed research
Evidence Synthesis CentreMarch 2014 - February 2017
The Centre appraises and synthesises evidence on effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, patient experience, service delivery, implementation, resource use and equity to inform the organisation and delivery of health services.
Evaluating support for carers of people with dementiaNovember 2015 - July 2017
This project is evaluating a specialist support service for the carers of people with dementia.
Disability, care and participation: secondary analysis of the Life Opportunities Survey and the 2009/10 Survey of Carers in HouseholdsMarch 2015 - August 2016
This project is reanalysing data from three national surveys of caring and of impairment and disability.
The MoRE project: models of reablement evaluation: a mixed methods evaluation of a complex interventionOctober 2014 - July 2017
This mixed-methods study aims to evaluate the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of different ways of providing reablement in England.
- Member - Department of Health Evaluation Reference Group for Integrated Care and Support
- Member Steering Committee, NIHR funded project 'Acute Hospital Care for Frail Older People', University of Newcastle
- Member - tide - together in dementia everyday (carers of people with dementia)
- Member - Grant Review Panel, Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Chair - Study Steering Committee, NIHR research project on Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, University of Oxford
- Member - Steering Committee, NIHR research project LoTS-2-Care (Improving Longer Term Stroke Care), University of Leeds
- Editorial Board Member - Health and Social Care in the Community
The role of social workers in continuity of care for people with severe and enduring mental health problems