Year abroad

These pages contain all the information you need on your year abroad, be it as an assistant teaching in schools, as a student at a university, or on an industrial work placement/internship. Please refer to the different general categories including information which applies to all the students going abroad and if you need specific information depending on what you are going to do while abroad please refer to the sections detailing the assistantships and the Study Abroad scheme. The Academic Instructions apply to ALL STUDENTS GOING ABROAD so please make sure you read those carefully.

If your questions cannot be answered on this website, please feel free to contact us or use the contact information we have included for our partner universities or the British Council.

Check out for general year abroad advice and student experiences.

Year abroad options

British Council assistantship

  • You can work as a British Council language assistant in schools.
  • You get paid a salary because this is a "job contract".
  • Short assistantships are available for German-speaking countries and Argentina.

Industrial work placements/Internships

  • All languages students are free to find their own work placement/internship in a French-, German-, Spanish- or Italian-speaking country.
  • Some students might be able to use contacts they already have.
  • Placements will have to be approved by the languages coordinators in the Department.
  • Current and former students were able to secure work placements with renowned companies such as AUDI, Deutsche Welle TV, Deutsche Telekom, Galvagni Schönheit, Deutsche Post, Deutsche Bahn, etc.

Study placements

  • Study at one of our Erasmus+ partner universities

    • You can study for a semester or a year at one of our Erasmus+ partner universities in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Spain or Italy.
    • You will receive the Erasmus+ grant for studying within Europe.
  • Study in Mexico

    • You can study at our partner university Universidad de las Américas, Puebla (UDLAP) in Mexico.
  • Study in Chile

    • You can study at our partner university Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC) in Chile.

Exchange programme for students of English Language and/or Linguistics

  • Students on three year programmes can also apply for a place on an exchange programme through which students may study abroad for their second year in North America, Australia or Asia.

Please note: All students going abroad within Europe will receive the Erasmus+ Grant*.

Additional information

Further information about the British Council placements and our Erasmus+ partner institutions can be found on the pages for assistantships and universities.

Please don't forget to also consult the academic instructions which explain the year abroad procedures and what you need to do in order to pass the year abroad.

Please also read through the Key Information on the Year Abroad with some general advice: KeyInformationfortheYA (PDF , 96kb)

* Please note: All information about financial aspects of the year abroad, such as tuition fees, grants and salaries are under review and might change.

Who to contact

Year Abroad coordinator:

Academic coordinators:

Year Abroad Administrator:

  • Laura Mansfield
    Postal address:
    Department of Language & Linguistic Science
    University of York
    YO10 5DD, UK