Update March 2022
The national University and College Union (UCU) has announced that a further round of industrial action will take place in universities across the UK in the form of five days of action in addition to the ongoing action short of a strike.
Strike dates announced are as follows:
- Monday 21 to Friday 25 March 2022 (five days)
The action short of a strike started on Wednesday 1 December 2021 and will finish no later than Tuesday 3 May 2022. This includes:
- working contracted hours and duties and not volunteering to do more (from 1 December 2021);
- not rescheduling classes and lectures cancelled due to strike action (from 21 December 2021);
- not covering for absent colleagues (from 5 January 2022);
- removing uploaded materials related to, and/or not sharing materials related to, lectures or classes that will be or have been cancelled as a result of strike action (from 5 January 2022).
The industrial action is in response to disputes concerning pay and conditions, and proposed changes to the USS pension.
We recognise that the decision to take industrial action is not taken lightly and we respect colleagues' right to take part. We also understand that students will be concerned about the potential impact on their studies.
Our priority is making sure we have the right support and procedures in place and we are working across academic and support departments to minimise the impact on students and to mitigate any lost learning opportunities as a result of the action taken to date.