I joined the Department in January 2015 as a Lecturer and member of the University of York Science Education Group (UYSEG). My research focuses upon the learning and teaching of science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. I teach in the areas of science education, learning, and assessment, and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research in education.
I am the Science Education Specialist of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Aerosol Science. This involves working to understand and improve doctoral training in the sciences and engineering. For further information please see the formal announcement from the EPRSC and the press release from the UK and Ireland Aerosol Society.
Before joining York I worked with the Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative at the University of British Columbia. This role involved understanding and improving science education at undergraduate level, with a focus on the use of research-based instructional strategies.
I welcome enquiries from people interested in conducting PhD research in the areas mentioned above.
- 2015-present: Lecturer in Science Education, Department of Education, University of York, UK
- 2013-14: Science Teaching and Learning Fellow, Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative and Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Canada
- 2011-13: Killam Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Canada (supervisor: Professor Ruth Signorell)
- 2010-11: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Chemistry and University of British Columbia Centre for Aerosol Research, University of British Columbia, Canada (supervisor: Professor Ruth Signorell)
- 2009-10: Postdoctoral Research Assistant, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK (supervisor: Professor Jonathan P. Reid)
- 2007: Japan Society for the Promtion of Science Research Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Hokkaido University, Japan (supervisor: Professor Noboru Kitamura)
- 2005-09: PhD in Physical Chemistry, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK (supervisor Professor Jonathan P. Reid), thesis title: 'Light-induced processes in optically-tweezed aerosol droplets'
- 2004-05: Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Science), Green College, University of Oxford, UK
- 2000-04: MSci and BA (Hons) in Natural Sciences (First Class), Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge, UK. Masters research project supervisor: Professor Richard M. Lambert, thesis title 'The development of a unique catalyst for the selective oxidation of alkenes: Metalloporphyrins adsorbed on silver'
- Deputy Chair, Board of Studies (2016-19)
- Teaching and Learning Development Coordinator (2015-16)
- Member of Programme Catalogue Steering Group (2017-18)
- Academic representative for the Faculty of Social Sciences, Marketing Advisory Steering Group (2015-17)
For details of current and completed projects and outputs please view my profile in the York Researcher Database.
- Lewu Jiang (2019-present) Educational games in science education
- Wejdan Almutawa (2018-present) Technology in early years education (with John Issitt)
- Hatice Herdili Sahin (2017-present) Visual arts curricula (with Sarah Olive)