Accessibility statement

Education student wellbeing and support

University life can be challenging, and there may be times when you have questions, face difficult circumstances, or need some guidance or support. We have a network of support services available to help you make the most of your time here at York.


All students are allocated a pastoral supervisor at the start of the academic year. Your supervisor is a key point of contact for you in terms of advice on your academic progress, as well as personal and professional development and general pastoral guidance. Meeting regularly with your supervisor is important and you can contact them anytime by email. There are set supervisions scheduled throughout each semester. You are encouraged to keep your supervisor updated on your progress and any changes to your circumstances, as they can help you manage your studies and access further support.

Student Wellbeing Officer

Each department has a Student Wellbeing Officer who is the first point of contact for any questions or concerns that might be affecting your wellbeing.

The Wellbeing Officer for Education is Jacqui Baker. 

Jacqui provides support and guidance on any difficulties you may be experiencing, and offers 1:1 appointments in person, via Zoom, or over the phone:

“Hi, my name is Jacqui and I am the Student Wellbeing Officer in Education.

I am here to listen, and to provide information, guidance, and support. This can involve helping you to develop practical strategies to address difficulties you might be facing, as well as exploring options for managing studies and signposting to other specialist services. 

I am also here if you want to develop more skills and techniques for managing the various challenges of student life and looking after your wellbeing.

So whether it’s difficulties settling in, feeling lonely or homesick, anxious and stressed, struggling with studies, or just feeling stuck, I am here for you. If it’s simply that you’re having a particularly bad - or good - day and you want to tell someone, come and talk to me. I offer 1-1 appointments so please get in touch and I will help to support you with any situation you might be struggling with.

You’re not alone, and I am here to help you make the very best of your time at York.”

How to contact your Student Wellbeing Officer

To make an appointment, please email Jacqui Baker -

Disability Services and Student Support Plans

If you have a disability or long-term health condition that has an impact on your ability to study, the University can arrange for academic support and adjustments to be put in place via a Student Support Plan (SSP).

If you are considering applying for a Student Support Plan, your Supervisor and/or Wellbeing Officer can provide further guidance. 

You may also be eligible for the Disabled Students' Allowance, and Disability Services can advise you further on this.

Find out more about the support available and SSPs.

University support

The University offers a host of services and support

If you are struggling to find the information you need, or the right service, please ask your Supervisor or Wellbeing Officer.

Health and wellbeing

Looking after your health and wellbeing whilst you are studying is key to making the best out of your time at York. This includes keeping a balance between your studies and other commitments, activities and self-care, and knowing who to talk to for support when you need it.

Mental health support

If you are finding things difficult, feeling worried or anxious, or struggling with your mental health, there is a range of support available on and off campus.

  • Open Door is the University’s specialist service for supporting students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties.
  • TalkCampus is a 24/7 app you can download for free, to talk with other students from around the world about the ups and downs of student life or if you’re struggling and worried about your mental health. The platform is anonymous, offering peer to peer support for mental health and wellbeing issues.
  • College teams your College team can offer support, guidance and signposting.

In crisis

If you are, or the person you are concerned about, is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or someone else, refer to the University's in crisis information.

PGR wellbeing

Undertaking a comprehensive research project as a PHD student brings its own specific challenges. York Graduate Research School offers a range of support, including:

  • Buddying and mentoring schemes
  • How to thrive and survive in your PhD - advice from PhD students
  • The Wellbeing Thesis

LGBTQ support

There are a range of networks and support for LGBTQ+ students at the University and in the wider York community. The GSA hosts an LGBTQ+ Network, and YUSU’s LGBTQ Social holds regular events. York LGBT Forum promotes the rights and interests of LGBT people in York and North Yorkshire and offers workshops and LGBT+ social events.

Report and support

If you experience any incident that involves student misconduct, for example bullying, hate crime, sexual violence, harassment or discrimination, the University’s Report and Support tool outlines specialist support, as well as options for reporting to the University. This can be done with contact details or anonymously if you prefer. Please note you do not need to make a report in order to access support - these are separate, and you will not be pressured into taking any course of action.

If you prefer to seek independent advice, the Students' Union offers independent, confidential advice and guidance, and can help you decide the right option for you. 

Student Union advice and support

Sometimes you may want to speak to someone outside the University. Both YUSU and GSA offer independent, confidential advice and support.