Evan Davis hosts webinar on IntoUniversity and The Place learning centres
Posted on 25 January 2024
On the 10th January OPPA hosted a compelling webinar with TV presenter and journalist Evan Davis, spotlighting IntoUniversity Centres and The Place: new community-embedded learning centres aimed at driving educational attainment for young people in the region.
As research from the University of York and the Child of the North shows, children living in the North of England are among the most vulnerable to rising living costs in the UK. The creation of the IntoUniversity centres and The Place comes after rigorous analysis of the places most in need.
Chaired by Evan Davis, speakers included:
- Professor Charlie Jeffery (Vice-Chancellor and President - University of York),
- Jen Addicott (Centre Manager at The Place),
- Lorna Bowling (Deputy Head of Access and Outreach at the University of York)
- Jack Thompson-Hall (Social Impact and Sustainability Manager, Aviva)
- James Griffiths (Senior leadership member at Westfield Community Primary School)
- Dr Jeremy Moulton, (Lecturer, Department of Politics and International Relations, University of York and volunteer in the IntoUniversity Centre, Hull)
Professor Charlie Jeffery closed the discussion with a powerful remark: "It is brilliant to be working with Into, our communities and other universities on these projects. It just shows what can be possible if you combine forces for change. We want this not just to be here for 5 years, but for 20 or so, where it will really have that transformative effect."
"We want these young people to have the choice to go to university. The choice, and they don't currently have that kids from more advantaged backgrounds do."
OPPA is raising further funds for further centres in Bridlington and Grimsby; these centres are in urgent need of support if we are to open these centres later this year.
If you are interested in finding out more about how you can help us to help more young people in our region to achieve their aspirations, please do get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org