Accessibility statement

Sociology and CWS student wellbeing and support

University life can be challenging, and there may be times when you have questions, face difficult circumstances, or need some guidance or support. Wehave a network of support services available to help you make the most of your time here at York.


All students are allocated a personal supervisor at the start of the academic year. Your supervisor is a key point of contact for you in terms of advice on your academic progress, as well as personal and professional development and general pastoral guidance. Meeting regularly with your supervisor is important and you contact them anytime to arrange a session with them. There will also be sessions timetabled throughout each term. You are encouraged to keep your supervisor updated on your progress and any changes to your circumstances, as they can help you manage your studies and access further support. 

Student Wellbeing Officer

Each department has a Student Wellbeing Officer who is the first point of contact for any questions or concerns that might be affecting your wellbeing.

The Wellbeing Officer for Sociology and the Centre for Women's Studies is Lauren Bramley. Lauren provides support and guidance on any difficulties you may be experiencing, and offers 1:1 appointments in person, via Zoom, or over the phone.


"Hi, I’m Lauren and I’m your Student Wellbeing Officer. I’m here to provide a space for you to discuss any issues that might be concerning you or affecting your wellbeing during your time at University.

If you’re feeling stressed or worried, or struggling with your studies, feeling overwhelmed with your academic work, or if you’re experiencing a personal issue, a health issue, a relationship problem or financial concerns, I'm here to listen and to talk things through.

I provide 1:1 support, information and guidance and can help you navigate the support available on and off campus. Please don’t wait to get in touch or pop in for a chat. 

How to contact your Student Wellbeing Officer

You can make an appointment by emailing or via the following Google Appointments link

Appointments can be in person, via Zoom or over the phone, whichever you prefer. 

Disability Services and Student Support Plans

If you have a disability or long-term health condition that has an impact on your ability to study, the University can arrange for academic support and adjustments to be put in place via a Student Support Plan (SSP).

If you are considering applying for a Student Support Plan, your Supervisor and/or Wellbeing Officer can provide further guidance. You can also contact the Department’s Student Disability Officer Debs Stephens at

You may also be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance, and Disability Services can advise you further on this.

Find out more about the support available and SSPs.

University support

The University offers a host of services and support. These include information on issues such as:

  • Finance and funding
  • Housing
  • Immigration and International student support
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Reporting student misconduct
  • Taking a break from studies
  • What to do if things go wrong

If you are struggling to find the information you need or the right service, ask your Supervisor or Wellbeing Officer.

Health and wellbeing

Looking after your health and wellbeing whilst you are studying is key to making the best out of your time at York. This includes keeping a balance between your studies and other commitments, activities and self-care, and knowing who to talk to for support when you need it.

Mental health support

If you are finding things difficult, feeling worried or anxious, or struggling with your mental health, there is a range of support available on and off campus.

  • Open Door is the University’s specialist service for supporting students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties.
  • Togetherall is a 24/7 online global community available to all York students, offering anonymous peer to peer support for mental health and wellbeing issues, as well as support from trained professionals
  • College teamsyour College team can offer support, guidance and signposting.

In crisis

If you are, or the person you are concerned about, is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or someone else, refer to the University's in crisis information.

PGR wellbeing

Undertaking a comprehensive research project as a PHD student brings its own specific challenges. York Graduate Research School offers a range of support, including:

  • buddying and mentoring schemes
  • <li">how to thrive and survive in your PhD - advice from PhD students

LGBTQ support

There are a range of networks and support for LGBTQ+ students at the University and in the wider York community. The GSA hosts an LGBTQ+ Network, and YUSU’s LGBTQ Social holds regular events. York LGBT Forum promotes the rights and interests of LGBT people in York and North Yorkshire and offers workshops and LGBT+ social events.

Report and support

If you experience any incident that involves student misconduct, for example bullying, hate crime, sexual violence, harassment or discrimination, the University’s Report and Support tool outlines specialist support, as well as options for reporting to the University. This can be done with contact details or anonymously if you prefer. Please note you do not need to make a report in order to access support - these are separate, and you will not be pressured into taking any course of action.

If you prefer to seek independent advice, the Students' Union offers independent, confidential advice and guidance, and can help you decide the right option for you. 

Student Union advice and support

Sometimes you may want to speak to someone outside the University. Both YUSU and GSA, offer independent, confidential advice and support.