Accessibility statement

Sociology and Centre for Women's Studies (CWS) student wellbeing and support

University life can be challenging, and there may be times when you have questions, face difficult circumstances, or need some guidance or support. We have a network of support services available to help you make the most of your time here at York.


All students are allocated a personal supervisor at the start of the academic year. Your supervisor is a key point of contact for you in terms of advice on your academic progress, as well as personal and professional development and general pastoral guidance. Meeting regularly with your supervisor is important and you contact them anytime to arrange a session with them. There will also be sessions timetabled throughout each term. You are encouraged to keep your supervisor updated on your progress and any changes to your circumstances, as they can help you manage your studies and access further support. 

Open Door/ Wellbeing Support

Students can find wellbeing information and self-refer for support by following the links below:
Open Door website
Link to further help and support

Disability Services and Student Support Plans

If you have a disability or long-term health condition that has an impact on your ability to study, the University can arrange for academic support and adjustments to be put in place via a Student Support Plan (SSP). Find out more about the support available and SSPs.

If you are considering applying for a Student Support Plan, your Supervisor and/or Wellbeing Officer can provide further guidance. You can also contact the Department’s Student Disability Officer Debs Stephens at

You may also be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance, and Disability Services can advise you further on this.

University support

The University offers a host of services and support. These include information on issues such as:

  • Finance and funding
  • Housing
  • Immigration and International student support
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Reporting student misconduct
  • Taking a break from studies
  • What to do if things go wrong

If you are struggling to find the information you need or the right service, ask your Supervisor or Wellbeing Officer.

LGBTQ support

There are a range of networks and support for LGBTQ+ students at the University and in the wider York community. The GSA hosts an LGBTQ+ Network, and YUSU’s LGBTQ Social holds regular events. York LGBT Forum promotes the rights and interests of LGBT people in York and North Yorkshire and offers workshops and LGBT+ social events.

Report and support

If you experience any incident that involves student misconduct, for example bullying, hate crime, sexual violence, harassment or discrimination, the University’s Report and Support tool outlines specialist support, as well as options for reporting to the University. This can be done with contact details or anonymously if you prefer. Please note you do not need to make a report in order to access support - these are separate, and you will not be pressured into taking any course of action.

If you prefer to seek independent advice, the Students' Union offers independent, confidential advice and guidance, and can help you decide the right option for you. 

Student Union advice and support

Sometimes you may want to speak to someone outside the University. Both YUSU and GSA, offer independent, confidential advice and support.