By installing EndNote and using the licence code, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of the user acknowledgement below.
Please read the user acknowledgement carefully before proceeding.
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT SHALL NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE OBTAINED ACCESS TO THIS PRODUCT PURSUANT TO A MULTI-USER LICENSE. UNDER SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES, YOUR USE OF THIS PRODUCT SHALL BE GOVERNED SOLELY BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE MULTI-USER LICENSE.
BACKGROUND. Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. has developed a proprietary computer program designated "ENDNOTE" (the "Software"). You (the “End User”) may use the Software to create personal bibliographic databases and to search those databases. By using the Software and/or its accompanying manuals (the “Documentation” and together with the Software, the “Product”), you agree with Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth herein. Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. is willing to permit you to use the Product only upon the condition that you accept and comply with all of the terms of this agreement (“Agreement”).
THEREFORE, for good and valuable consideration, including the rights and license granted in this Agreement, and intending to be legally bound, Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. and End User agree as follows:
1. (a) DEMO LICENSE. Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. hereby grants to End User a non-exclusive, non-transferable, individual license to use the Product solely for testing and evaluation purposes, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. End User acknowledges that the full-function features of the Software will be automatically disabled thirty (30) days following End User’s initial installation of the Software, however End User may continue to view any data already input using the Software. End User may not make any copies of the Documentation or any portion thereof.
(b) SINGLE USER LICENSE. Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. hereby grants to End User a non-exclusive, non-transferable, individual license to use the Product, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. End User may (i) install one copy of the Software on up to three computers running on the same operating system for End User's personal use and (ii) make one copy of the Software solely for backup or archival purposes. It is expressly understood that the Software program will only be in use by End User on one computer at any given time. End User may not make any copies of the Documentation or any portion thereof.
2. RESTRICTIONS. End User may not modify, translate, decompile, reverse engineer, retransmit in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopied, recorded or otherwise), resell or redistribute the Product, or any portion thereof, without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. Except as expressly set forth in this Agreement, End User may not make any use of the Product.
3. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. may terminate the license granted hereunder if End User fails to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In such event, End User shall immediately discontinue any further use of the Product and destroy all copies of the Software and Documentation in its possession or control.
4. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. End User agrees that Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. or its third party supplier(s) is the sole and exclusive owner of all rights in the Product. The Product is protected by United States copyright and other laws, as well as international treaty provisions, and End User must treat the Product as any other copyrighted and legally protected material. All rights in the Product not expressly granted herein are reserved by Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. or its third party supplier(s).
5. REPLACEMENT POLICY. Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. will correct or replace any defective diskette if returned to Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. within ninety (90) days after the purchase date with a description of the defect, provided such defect is not due to misuse by End User.
6. NO WARRANTY. THE PRODUCT AND ALL CONTENT, INFORMATION AND TECHNOLOGY CONTAINED THEREIN ARE BEING PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, DURABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT OR THE USE THEREOF. THOMSON REUTERS (SCIENTIFIC) INC. DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTY THAT THE SOFTWARE IS COMPATIBLE OR OPERABLE WITH THE END USER'S COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OR SOFTWARE, OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL PERFORM WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR FREE OF ERRORS. END USER AGREES THAT THE PRODUCT IS NOT CONSUMER GOODS FOR PURPOSES OF FEDERAL OR STATE WARRANTY LAWS.
No sales person or other representative involved in the licensing of the Product is authorized to make any warranties with respect to the Product. Oral statements do not constitute warranties, shall not be relied upon by End User, and are not a part of this Agreement.
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL THOMSON REUTERS (SCIENTIFIC) INC. OR ITS AFFILIATES OR ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR REPRESENTATIVES (COLLECTIVELY "THOMSON REUTERS (SCIENTIFIC) INC. PARTIES") BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION OR DATA, OR ANY OTHER INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IF THOMSON REUTERS (SCIENTIFIC) INC. HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN ANY EVENT, THE THOMSON REUTERS (SCIENTIFIC) INC. PARTIES’ TOTAL AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND AND TYPE (REGARDLESS OF WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT OR TORT) SHALL NOT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT.
IT IS EXPRESSLY UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED THAT IN THE EVENT ANY REMEDY HEREUNDER IS DETERMINED TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, ALL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND EXCLUSIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH HEREIN SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT.
8. INJUNCTIVE RELIEF. End User agrees that Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. will have the right to obtain an injunction against any unauthorized use of the Product by End User, in addition to any other rights and remedies to which Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. may be entitled.
9. SEVERABILITY. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, then such provision shall be adjusted to the minimum extent necessary for validity or enforceability, and in any event, the remaining provisions will nevertheless remain in full force and effect.
10. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. and you with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement and supercedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications with respect thereto. This Agreement may not be modified, except to the extent of a written agreement to do so by an authorized representative of Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc.
11. CHOICE OF LAW. This Agreement shall be interpreted, construed and enforced in all respects in accordance with the internal laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, without regard to its principles of conflicts of law.
12. NO ASSIGNMENT. End User shall not assign, sub-license or delegate any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement to any third party without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. Any assignment, sublicense or delegation in violation of this provision shall be null and void.
13. THIRD PARTY SUPPLIER TERMS. The provisions contained in this Section 13 apply specifically to the PDFNet SDK from PDFTron Systems Inc., which is incorporated in the Software and distributed by Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. under license.
(a) End User agrees that End User:
(i) will use PDFNet SDK only as an embedded component of the Software;
(ii) will not use PDFNet SDK for development, compilation, debugging and similar design-time purposes;
(iii) will not reverse-compile or decompile, analyze, reverse-engineer, reverse-assemble or disassemble, unlock or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or underlying algorithms of PDFNet SDK or attempt to do any of the foregoing in relation to the object code of PDFNet SDK; and
(iv) will not modify, adapt, translate or create any derivative works of PDFNet SDK or merge PDFNet SDK into any other software.
(b) End User will not access, install, download, copy, modify, or transfer PDFNet SDK, or any copy, adaptation, transcription, or merged portion thereof, except as expressly permitted by Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc. End User's rights will be non-exclusive and except as expressly permitted by Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Inc., non-assignable;
(c) PDFTron Systems Inc. will have the exclusive ownership of all right, title, and interest in and to PDFNet SDK, including ownership of all intellectual property rights and confidential information pertaining thereto, subject only to the rights and privileges expressly granted to End User under this Agreement; and
(d) End User's obligations under this Agreement will remain in effect for as long as it continues to possess or use PDFNet SDK, and such obligations will be enforceable by PDFTron Systems Inc. as a third party beneficiary against End User.
14. ACKNOWLEDGMENT. Use of the Product affirms that End User has read this Agreement, understands it, and agrees to be bound by its contents.
Proceed to the EndNote installation files
By clicking the link to access the EndNote install files, you are agreeing to the user acknowledgement and confirming that the installation of this software will ONLY take place on a University owned computer.
- EndNote install files (Staff and research graduates only)