Click on the tabs below for information about MATLAB.
About the software
MATLAB is a programming environment for algorithm development, data analysis, visualization and numerical computation.
MATLAB R2018a is installed on all IT Services classroom PCs and managed office PCs. 2016a will be available on managed PCs after the summer vacation.
Please see the Obtaining the software tab for more information.
Obtaining the software
MATLAB is installed on all IT Services classroom PCs. It appears under Start | All Programs.
On staff and research graduate PCs managed by IT Services, MATLAB can be installed by searching for Software Center from the Start Menu
Once installed, it will appear under Start | All Programs.
Unmanaged PCs and home use
Staff and students are able to install MATLAB on unmanaged University owned PCs and personally owned devices.
MATLAB is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
How can I update or reactivate my Total Academic Headcount (TAH) License?
If the Total Academic Headcount License you are using has been renewed, you will need to update your license file to continue using MATLAB.
Campus and Student Licenses:
- Open MATLAB (If the license has already expired the activation client will launch and you can skip the next step)
- Navigate to Help Menu and select Licensing
- Click on Activate Software
- Choose to Activate using Internet
- Once reactivated you will need to restart MATLAB before the new license file is recognized If the installation has already expired, you will be prompted to activate when attempting to launch MATLAB. As long as the activation finishes successfully it will roll over to the new license file once the old one expires. You might continue to see the expiration warning in MATLAB until the old file expires.
Documentation, training and support
- The Mathwork website provides a range of learning materials including instructional documentation, videos, examples and Webinars.
The MATLAB licence is for the program, plus the following Standard and Additional Toolboxes.
These are available on all IT Services classroom PCs and can also be download by members of the University onto their personal PCs.
Audio Systems Toolbox
Computer Vision System Toolbox
Control System Toolbox
Curve Fitting Toolbox
Data Acquisition Toolbox
Deep Learning Toolbox
DSP System Toolbox
Financial Instruments Toolbox
Fuzzy Logic Toolbox
Global Optimization Toolbox
Image Acquisition Toolbox
Image Processing Toolbox
Instrument Control Toolbox
LTE System Toolbox
MATLAB Distributed Computing Server
MATLAB Report Generator
Model-Based Calibration Toolbox
Model Predictive Control Toolbox
Parallel Computing Toolbox
Partial Differential Equation Toolbox
Phased Array System Toolbox
Polyspace Bug Finder
Signal Processing Toolbox
Simscape Multibody (formerly SimMechanics)
Simulink 3D Animation
Simulink Control Design
Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox
Symbolic Math Toolbox
System Identification Toolbox