How to change your name on your University account
If you have changed your name, please see the University guidance on changing your name on your record:
Please note, we will not normally change your username and email address to reflect your new name. This will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Step 1: MyView
- Visit myview.york.ac.uk (if you're off campus, you'll need to use the VPN)
- Sign in using the link at the top right of the page
- Go to My Personal Details and click on View and maintain your personal details
- Click on Personal details - a new page opens
- On the right hand side select Edit these details
- Enter new details and click on Update now
- The change will take an hour to update the University's People Database
Step 2: Google and email
Once step 1 is complete, a new email address can be allocated to you. You'll need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to get the new address set up.
It takes up to 24 hours for Google to update the display name to be the new name.
Please note, we will not normally change your username. This will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Some people may still see your old name in the address book. This is because, if they have emailed you before, your old name will be stored in their contacts. They need to delete this so that the new name replaces it.
Step 3: Update your entry in the University Directory
- Go to the University Directory
- Select Configure your own directory entry
- Log in, and update any fields as appropriate
Other tips on changing your name
- Inform your departmental administrator
- Inform your other key contacts around the University
- Update your email address for any external mailing lists or subscriptions
- Update any departmental web pages and staff lists that mention your name
- Consider noting change of name in email signature where appropriate