The Eye of York

The oval patch of grass that is surrounded by the Crown Court, the Castle Museum and Clifford’s Tower is known as the Eye of York as it stands at the crossing points of boundaries from the various Yorkshire Ridings in the past. This was a key site for executions as well as deaths amongst prisoners held in the debtor’s prison (which is now the Castle museum). It is overshadowed by the massacre of York’s Jewish community in March 1190 in Clifford’s Tower.

<< St George's Graveyard Ouse Bridge >>