Paul is an academic consultant orthopaedic surgeon based at South Tees NHS Trust (Middlesbrough) and York Trials Unit. Paul has a specialist interest in hip and knee arthroplasty. He held an inaugral national joint registry research fellow from 2012. During this period he completed his medical degree with a thesis entitled ‘Analysis of knee replacements using data from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales’. Paul is LCRN NENC speciality group lead for injuries and emergencies and subspeciality lead for orthopaedics.
- MBBS MD Msc (Evidence Based Practice (Orthopaedics))
- DipStat PG Certificate (Clinical Research)
- FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics)
Paul's research interests include hip and knee replacements and return to work, infection, patient outcomes, patient experience, and patient education.
- OPAL - Occupational advice Prior to Arthroplasty of the Lower Limb
Full publications list
Orthopaedic research papers:
Protocol paper: Development of an occupational advice intervention for patients undergoing lower limb arthroplasty (The OPAL study) Paul N. Baker, MD MSc DipStat PGCert FRCS(T&O); Coole C; Drummond A; Mcdaid C; Khan S; Thomson L; Hewitt C; McNamara I; McDonald C; Fitch J; Rangan A. BMC Health Services Research 2018;18:504.
- Engaging workplace representatives in research: what recruitment strategies work best? Coole C, Nouri F, Narayanasamy M, Baker P, Khan S, Drummond A. Occupational Medicine (Accepted for publication 6/2/18 Ref OM-17-SR-016.R2).
- Factors Influencing patient experience and satisfaction following surgical management of ankle fractures. Ashton F, Hamid K, Sulieman S, Eardley W, Baker P. Injury 2017;48(4):960-965. Epub 2017 Feb 22.
- Predictors of direct home discharge following fractured neck of femur. Salar O, Baker P, Forward D, Ollivere B, Weerasuriya N, Moppett I, Moran C. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99(6):444-451.
- The use of a validated pre-discharge questionnaire to improve the quality of patient experience of orthopaedic care. Baker P, Tytler B, Artley A, Hamid K, Paul R, Eardley W. BMJ Qual Improv Report 2017;6: u212876.w5262.
- The use of foot pumps compression devices in the perioperative management of ankle fractures: Systematic review of the current literature. Clarkson R, Mahmoud S, Rangan A, Eardley W, Baker P. Foot (Edinb) 2017;31:61-66.
- Risk Factors for Mixed Genus Infection in 579 Primary Hip and Knee Arthroplasties. Revised for Periprosthetic Infection: A Study Using the National Joint Registry Dataset. Review Holleyman R, Deehan D, Charlett A, Gould K, Baker P. Recent Adv Arthroplast 2017;1(1):9-15.
- Critical care admission following elective surgery was not associated with survival benefit: prospective analysis of data from 27 countries. Baker P as part of the International Surgical Outcomes Study (ISOS) group. Intensive Care Med 2017;43(7):971-979.
- Intraoperative complications during revision shoulder arthroplasty: a study using the National Joint Registry dataset. Ingoe H, Holland P, Cowling P, Kottam L, Baker P, Rangan A. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2017;9(2):92-99.
- Risk factors associated with intraoperative complications in primary shoulder arthroplasty: A study using the England, Wales and Northern Ireland National Joint Registry dataset. Cowling P, Holland P, Kottam K, Baker P, Rangan A. Acta Orthopaedica 2017;88(x):xx-xx (OPEN ACCESS)
- VASO (Vitamin D and Arthroplasty Surgery Outcomes) study - supplementation of vitamin D deficiency to improve outcomes after total hip or knee replacement: study protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility trial. Morrison R, Bunn D, Gray W, Baker P, White C, Rangan A, Rankin K, Reed M. Trials 2017;18:514.
- Provision of total hip replacement for displaced intracapsular hip fractures. Baker P as part of the THRIFT group for CORNET. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2016;98(2):96-101.
- Analysis of causative microorganism in 248 primary hip arthroplasties revised for infection. Holleyman R, Baker P, Charlett A, Gould K, Deehan D. Hip Int. 2016 Feb 8;26(1):82-9.
- A single blind randomised controlled trial of the impact on patient-reported pain of arm elevation versus exsanguination prior to tourniquet inflation. Lees D, Penny J, Baker P. Bone Joint J. 2016;98-B(4):519-25.
- Progressive radiolucent lines following the implantation of the cemented Rimfit acetabular component in total hip arthroplasty using the rimcutter technique: cause for concern? Baker P, Rankin K, Naisby S, Agni N, Brewster N, Holland J. Bone Joint J. 2016;98-B(3):313-9.
- Regional uptake and variations in orthopaedic enhanced recovery pathways in knee and hip total arthroplasty. Mawdsley M, Baker P, Desai A, Green RN, Jevons L. J Perioper Pract. 2016 May;26(5):118-22.
- Microbial resistance related to antibiotic-loaded bone cement: a historical review. Walker L, Baker P, Holleyman R, Deehan D. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 1-10 Sept 2016 [Epub ahead of print]
- Global patient outcomes after elective surgery: prospective cohort study in 27 low-, middle- and high-income countries. Baker P as part of the International Surgical Outcomes Study (ISOS) group. Br J Anaesth. 2016 Oct 31;117(5):601-609.
- Have cementless and resurfacing components improved the medium term results of hip replacement for patients under 60 years of age? Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Gregg P, Porter M, Deehan D, Reed M, Acta Orthopaedica 2015;86(1):7-17
- No functional benefit of larger femoral heads and alternative bearings at 6 months following primary hip replacement. Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Gregg P, Deehan D, Reed M. Acta Orthopaedica 2015;86(1):32-40
- Microorganisms responsible for periprosthetic knee infections in England and Wales. Holleyman RJ, Baker P, Charlett A, Gould K, Deehan D. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015 Apr 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Length of stay and its impact upon functional outcomes following lower limb arthroplasty. Brock T, Baker P, Ruston S, Bargett M, Deehan D. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015 Dec 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Does Pre-operative Sampling Predict Intra-operative Cultures and Antibiotic Sensitivities in Knee Replacements Revised for Infection? Holleyman R, Deehan D, Charlett A, Gould K, Baker P. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015 Nov 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Implant Optimisation for Primary Hip Replacement in Patients over 60 Years with Osteoarthritis: A Cohort Study of Clinical Outcomes and Implant Costs Using Data from England and Wales. Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Gregg P, Deehan D, Reed M. PLoS One. 2015 Nov 12;10(11):e0140309.
- Increasing age and female gender are associated with early knee replacement following arthroscopy, Jameson S, Dowen D, Baker P, Rushton S, James P, Reed MR, Deehan D, Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy 2014;22(11):2665-71
- Early PROMS following Total Knee Replacement – functional outcome dependent on patella resurfacing, Baker P, Petheram T, Dowen D, Jameson S, Avery P, Gregg PJ, Deehan D, Journal of Arthroplasty 2014;29(2):314-319.
- Mid-term survival following primary hinged total knee replacement is good irrespective of the indication for surgery, Baker P, Critchley R, Jameson S, Hodgson S, Reed M, Gregg P, Deehan D, Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy 2014;22(3):599-608.
- Evolution of the hip fracture population: time to consider the future? A retrospective observational analysis. Baker P, Salar O, Ollivere B, Forward D, Weerasuriya N, Moppett I, Moran C, BMJ Open. 2014 19;4(4):e004405
- A comparison of surgical approaches for primary hip replacement – A cohort study of patient reported outcome measures and early revision using linked national databases, Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Gregg P, Deehan D, McMurtry I, Reed M. Journal of Arthroplasty 2014;29(6):1248-1255
- Evidence-base for aspirin as venous thromboembolic prophylaxis following joint replacement. Jameson S, Baker P, Deehan D, Port A, Reed M, Bone and Joint Research. 2014;3(5):146-9
- The impact of body mass index on patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) and complications flowing primary hip arthroplasty. Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Elson D, Deehan D, Reed M, Journal of Arthroplasty 2014;29(10):1889-98
- Factors Influencing Revision Risk Following 15 740 Single-Brand Hybrid Hip Arthroplasties: A Cohort Study From a National Joint Registry, Jameson S, Mason J, Baker P, Jettoo P, Deehan D, Reed M, Journal of Arthroplasty 2013;28(7):1152-1159.
- Independent predictors of failure up to 7.5 years after 35 386 single-brand cementless total hip replacements: A retrospective cohort study using National Joint Registry data, Jameson S, Baker P, Mason J, Rymaszewska M, Gregg P, Deehan D, Reed M, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br) 2013;95(4):747-57.
- Patient Reported Outcome Measures after revision of the infected TKR: Comparison of single vs. two-stage revision, Baker P, Petheram T, Kurtz S, Kontinnen Y, Gregg P, Deehan D, Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy 2013;21(12):2713-20.
- Center and surgeon volume influence the revision rate following unicondylar knee replacement: an analysis of 23,400 medial cemented unicondylar knee replacements, Baker P, Jameson S, Critchley R, Reed M, Gregg P, Deehan D, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am) 2013;95(8):702-9.
- Influence of body mass index (BMI) on functional improvements at 3 years following total knee replacement: a retrospective cohort study, Baker P, Muthumayandi K, Gerrand C, Kleim B, Bettinson K, Deehan D, PLoS One 2013;8(3):e59079.
- CORR insights: Reason for revision TKA predicts clinical outcome: Prosepctive evaluation of 150 consecutive patients with 2-years follow-up. Deehan D, Baker P, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2013;471(7):2303-4
- Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy in Primary Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Infection Managed with Debridement and Retention of Prosthesis: A Retrospective Cohort Study, Sims A, Baker P, Bellamy R, McMurtry I, Surgical Infections 2013;14(3):292-6
- Revision knee replacement in England and Wales: An audit of hospital volume, Baker P, Critchley R, Jameson S, Gray A, Port A, Reed M, Deehan D, Bulletin of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2013;95(5):1-5
- Patient satisfaction with total knee replacement cannot be predicted from pre-operative variables alone: A cohort study from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales, Baker P, Rushton S, Jameson S, Reed M, Gregg P, Deehan Bone and Joint Journal 2013;95-B(10):1359-65