Tensions between liberalism and democracy have long been a part of political philosophy. However, in recent years arguments over, for instance, the relationship between national sovereignty and individual rights, the boundaries of membership within democratic states, and forms of democratic self-binding ranging from constitutions to technocratic institutions have taken on greater weight and urgency.
The theme of the conference is democratic challenges, broadly construed to include challenges to democracy, challenges posed by democratic practices to claims about –for instance– justice, liberty and equality, challenges within philosophical justifications for democracy, and more.
If you would like any information about the conference, or have any questions please get in touch at email@example.com
Call for papers
We invite submissions from any area of social and political philosophy, and we particularly welcome proposals engaging with the main themes of the conference–challenges to the idea of democracy, challenges to other values posed by democratic practices, and challenges within debates in democratic theory. Individual papers and panel proposals are both welcome.
- Paper proposals should include title, short abstract (300 words max), name and contact details of the author(s).
- Panel proposals, including 3-4 papers, should consist of the above information for each paper plus a short rationale for the panel.
Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 February 2020.
We're happy to help with any queries, please get in touch at email@example.com.
- Simone Chambers (University of California, Irvine)
- Lea Ypi (London School of Economics and Political Science)
Travelling to York
York is easily accessible. Find out more about different ways to get to York:
- Travelling from UK airports
- Driving to York
- Travelling by bus or coach
- Trains run to York from many major cities including London, Edinburh Waverley, Manchester and Oxford. Find out more or plan your journey.
There is a taxi rank outside of York train station. If you need a private taxi firm we recommend Streamline Taxis, +44 (0)1904 656565.
Staying in York
York is a big tourist destination and offers many different accommodation options.
Registration details for ASPP 2020 will be available soon.