Research Area: renewable generation (photovoltaic, wind), power electronics converters & control, electric transportation, smart energy system for robotics and non-destructive test technology.
Areas of Expertise: Power electronics and motor drive, non-destructive testing
Yihua Hu received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering in 2003, and the Ph.D. degree in power electronics and drives in 2011, both at China University of Mining and Technology. Between 2011 and 2013, he was with the College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University as a Postdoctoral Fellow. Between 2013 and 2015, he worked as a Research Associate at the power electronics and motor drive group, the University of Strathclyde. Between 2016 and 2019, he was a Lecturer at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, University of Liverpool (UoL). He is the group head of electrical engineering at the University of York, and the Fellow of IET. He was awarded the Royal Society Industry Fellowship and EPSRC Power Electronics Centre Impact Acceleration Fellowship in 2020 and 2017 respectively. He has published 120 journal papers in IEEE Transactions journals (top journals in electrical engineering). According to Google Scholar, since 2017, citations are over 5700, with an h-index of 46. He is the author of 15 patents and serves as an Associate Editor of IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Scientific Reports and IET Renewable Power Generation. His research interests include renewable generation, electric vehicles, smart energy conversion systems and non-destructive test technology. His research output was a finalist for the Technology transfer category of the IET Innovation Awards 2019. He and his student span out a company (Qingdao Guanxin, Ltd) and attracted ¥10million venture capital investment. His supervised PhD student was awarded IET Postgraduate Award 2021.
Selected Journal Articles/Book Chapters/Patent (* correspondence)
1. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, K. Ni, J. Liu and J. Gao, "SM Load Torque Observer-Based FCS-MPDSC With Single Prediction Horizon for High Dynamics of Surface-Mounted PMSM," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 20-24, Jan. 2020.
3. J. Lu, Y. Hu, J. Liu, K. Ni, and H. Wen, "Detrimental Effect Elimination of Current Sensor Accuracy Uncertainty for High-Precision Position Sensorless Control of IPMSM Drives," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. (Accepted)
4. J. Lu, Y. Hu, J. Liu, and Z. Wang, "All Current Sensors Survivable IPMSM Drive with Reconfigurable Inverter," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. (Accepted)
6. X. Wang, Z. Wang, Z. Xu, M. Cheng, M. Cheng and Y. Hu, "Optimization of Torque Tracking Performance for Direct Torque Controlled PMSM Drives With Composite Torque Regulator," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. (Accepted)
7. H. Shi, H. Wen, Y. Hu, Y. Yang, and Y. Wang, “Efficiency Optimization of DC Solid-State Transformer for Photovoltaic Power Systems,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 3583-3595, May 2020.
8. K. Shi, X. Yin, L. Jiang, Y. Liu, Y. Hu, and H. Wen, “Perturbation Estimation Based Nonlinear Adaptive Power Decoupling Control for DFIG Wind Turbine,” in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 319-333, Jan. 2020.
9. Q. Bu, H. Wen, J. Wen, Y. Hu, and Y. Du, “Transient DC Bias Elimination of Dual Active Bridge DC-DC Converter with Improved Triple-Phase-Shift Control,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. (Accepted)
10. S. Song, G. Chen, Y. Liu, Y. Hu, K. Ni and Y. Wang, “A Three-Switch-Based Single-Input Dual-Output Converter with Simultaneous Boost & Buck Voltage Conversion,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. (Accepted)
11. Y. Liu, G. Chen, Y. Hu, L. Huang and X. Qing, “Magnetic Coupling Branch Based Dual-Input/Output DC-DC Converters with Improved Cross-Regulation and Soft-Switching Operation,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. (Accepted)
12. Z. Wang, X. Wang, X. Yang, C. Wen, Y. Gong, and Y. Hu, “Mitigation of DC-Link Current Ripple for Dual Three-Phase Flux-Adjustable Hybrid PMAC Drives Using Collaborative Switching Strategy,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. (Accepted)
1. X. Li, H. Wen, Y. Zhu, L. Jiang, Y. Hu and W. Xiao, "A Novel Sensorless Photovoltaic Power Reserve Control With Simple Real-Time MPP Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 7521-7531, Aug. 2019.
2. X. Wang, Z. Wang, Z. Xu, M. Cheng, W. Wang and Y. Hu, "Comprehensive Diagnosis and Tolerance Strategies for Electrical Faults and Sensor Faults in Dual Three-Phase PMSM Drives," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 6669-6684, July 2019.
3. G. Chen, Z. Jin, Y. Liu, Y. Hu, J. Zhang and X. Qing, "Programmable Topology Derivation of Integrated Three-Port DC-DC Converters with Reduced Switches for Low-Cost Applications," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 6649-6660, Sept. 2019.
4. J. Lu, Y. Hu, J. Liu, "Analysis and Compensation of Sampling Errors in TPFS IPMSM Drives With Single Current Sensor," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 3852-3855, May 2019.
7. C. Gan, Q. Sun, J. Wu, C. Shi and Y. Hu, "A Universal Two-Sensor Current Detection Scheme for Current Control of Multiphase Switched Reluctance Motors with Multiphase Excitation," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 1526-1539, Feb. 2019.
15. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, G. Chen, H. Wen, Z. Wang and K. Ni “A DC-Bus Capacitor Discharge Strategy for PMSM Drive System with Large Inertia and Small System Safe Current in EVs,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 4709 - 4718, Aug. 2019.
20. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, C. Gan, G. Chen and A. Mohammed, "Modelling, Analysis and Attenuation of Uncontrolled Generation for IPMSM based Electric Vehicles in Emergency," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. doi: 10.1109/TIE.2019.2926049
21. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, H. Wen, G. Chen, W. Li and J. Gao, "Reliable Winding-based DC-Bus Capacitor Discharge Technique Over Full-Speed Range for IPMSM Drive in Electric Vehicles Without Position Sensor," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. doi: 10.1109/TIE.2019.2946550
22. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, J. Gao, Y. Wang and L. Yan, "An Improved Delay-Suppressed Sliding Mode Observer for Sensorless Vector-Controlled PMSM," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. doi: 10.1109/TIE.2019.2952824
23. C. Gong, Y. Hu*, M. Ma, L. Yan and J. Liu, "Accurate FCS Model Predictive Current Control Technique for Surface-mounted PMSMs at Low Control Frequency," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2019.2953787
24. C. Gan, Y. Chen, R. Qu, Z. Yu, W. Kong and Y. Hu, "An Overview of Fault-Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerance Techniques for Switched Reluctance Machine Systems," in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 174822-174838, Nov. 2019.
25. M. Zheng, H. Wen, H. Shi, Y. Hu, Y. Yang, and Y. Wang, “Open-Circuit Fault Diagnosis of Dual Active Bridge DC-DC Converter With Extended-Phase-Shift Control,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 23752-23765, Feb. 2019.
26. G. Chen, L. Mo, Y. Liu, X. Qing, and Y. Hu, “Computer-Aided Identification of Equivalent Power Electronics Converters,” in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 9374-9378, Oct. 2019.
1. H. Shi, H. Wen, Y. Hu and L. Jiang, "Reactive power Minimization in Bidirectional DC-DC converters Using A Unified-Phasor-Based Particles Swarm Optimization," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 10990 – 11006, Dec. 2018.
5. G. Chen, H. Peng, R. Zeng, Y. Hu and K. Ni, "A Fundamental Frequency Sorting Algorithm for Capacitor Voltage Balance of Modular Multilevel Converter with Low Frequency Carrier-Phase-Shift Modulation," in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1595-1604, Sep. 2018.
7. Qingguo Sun, Jianhua Wu, Chun Gan, Yihua Hu, A New Phase Current Reconstruction Scheme for Four-Phase SRM Drives Using Improved Converter Topology Without Voltage Penalty, " in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 133-144, Jan. 2018.
8. K. Ni, W. Li, Y. Liu, D. Yu and Y. Hu, "Phase Current Reconstruction for the Grid-Side Converter with Four-Switch Three-Phase Topology in a DFIG-WT," in IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 39287-39297, July 2018.
9. Chun. Gan, Qinguo Sun, Nan Jin, Leon M. Tolbert, Zhibing Lin, Yihua Hu, Jianhua Wu, "Cost-Effective Current Measurement Technique for Four-Phase SRM Control by Split Dual Bus Line without Pulse Injection and Voltage Penalty," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 4553-4564, June 2018.
10. Z. Wang, X. Wang, M. Cheng and Y. Hu, "Comprehensive Investigation on Remedial Operation of Switch Faults for Dual Three-phase PMSM Drives Fed by T-3L Inverters," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 4574-4587, June 2018.
11. C. Gan, J. Wu, M. Shen, W. Kong, Y. Hu and W. Cao, "Investigation of Short Permanent Magnet and Stator Flux Bridge Effects on Cogging Torque Mitigation in FSPM Machines," in IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 845-855, June 2018.
14. C. Gan, J. Wu, Q. Sun, W. Kong, H. Li and Y. Hu, "A Review on Machine Topologies and Control Techniques for Low-Noise Switched Reluctance Motors in Electric Vehicle Applications," in IEEE Access. , vol. 6, pp. 31430-31443, May 2018.
16. J. Lu, Y. Hu, X. Zhang, Z. Wang, J. Liu and C. Gan, "High frequency voltage injection sensorless control technique for IPMSMs fed by a three-phase four-switch inverter with a single current sensor," in IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 758-768, April 2018.
17. Xingshuo Li, Huiqing Wen, Yihua Hu, Lin Jiang, Weidong Xiao, "Modified Beta Algorithm for GMPPT and Partial Shading Detection in Photovoltaic Systems" IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 2172-2186, March 2018.
18. Z. Wang; X. Wang; J. Cao; M. Cheng; Y. Hu, "Direct Torque Control of T-NPC Inverters Fed Double-Stator-Winding PMSM Drives With SVM," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics , vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 1541-1553, Feb. 2018.
1. G. Chu, H. Wen, L. Jiang, Y. Hu and X. Li, "Bidirectional flyback based isolated-port submodule differential power processing optimizer for photovoltaic applications," Solar Energy, Volume 158, Pages 929-940, Dec. 2017.
7. G. Chen; Y. Deng; L. Chen; Y. Hu; L. Jiang; X. He; Y. Wang, "A Family of Zero-Voltage-Switching Magnetic Coupling Non-isolated Bidirectional DC-DC Converters," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics , vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 6223-6233, Aug. 2017.
8. G. Chen; Y. Deng; K. Wang; Y. Hu; L. Jiang; H. Wen; X. He, "Topology Derivation and Analysis of Integrated Multiple Output Isolated DC-DC Converters With Stacked Configuration for Low-Cost Applications," in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 2207-2218, Aug. 2017.
10. Guipeng Chen, Yan Deng, Yihua Hu, Lin Jiang, “Integrated Multiple Output Synchronous Buck Converter for Electric Vehicle Power Supply,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology,vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 5752-5761, July 2017.
14. Chun Gan, Jianhua Wu, Ning Wang, Yihua Hu, Wenping Cao, and Shiyou Yang, “Independent current control of dual parallel SRM drive using a public current sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics. vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 392-401, Feb. 2017.
16. Lesiba Mokgonyana, Jiangfeng Zhang, Hailong Li, Yihua Hu, “Optimal location and capacity planning for distributed generation with independent power production and self-generation,” Applied Energy, Volume 188, Pages 140–150, Feb. 2017.
Hengyang Luo, Huiqing Wen, Xingshuo Li, Lin Jiang, Yihua Hu, “Synchronous Buck Converter based Low-Cost and High-Efficiency Sub-Module DMPPT PV System under Partial Shading Conditions, ” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 126, PP. 473–487, Oct. 2016.
3. Bin Gao, Yunze He, Wai Lok Woo, Gui Yun Tian, Jia Liu, and Yihua Hu, “Multi-dimensional Tensor-based Inductive Thermography with Multiple Physical Fields for Offshore Wind Turbine Gear Inspection” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 6305-6315, Oct. 2016.
6. Guipeng Chen, Yan Deng, Yong Tao, Xiangning He, Yousheng Wang and Yihua Hu, “Topology Derivation and Generalized Analysis of Zero-Voltage-Switching Synchronous DC-DC Converters with Coupled Inductors,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 4805-4815, Aug. 2016.
15. Chun Gan, Jianhua Wu, Shiyou Yang, Yihua Hu, Wenping Cao, “Fault diagnosis scheme for open-circuit faults in switched reluctance motor drives using FFT algorithm with bus current detection” IET Power Electronics. vol. 9, no. 1, 20 –30, Feb. 2016.
12. Bing Ji, Wenping Cao, Xueguan Song, Yihua Hu, Volker Pickert, “Multiobjective Design Optimization of IGBT Power Modules Considering Power Cycling and Thermal Cycling” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. vol. 30, no. 5, 2493– 2504, May. 2015.
13. Bing Ji; Wenping Cao, Pickert Volker, Xueguan Song, Yihua Hu, Pierce Gareth, “In-Situ Diagnostics and Prognostics of Solder Fatigue in IGBT Modules for Electric Vehicle Drives,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. vol. 30, no. 3, 1291 –1543, Mar. 2015.
9. Zhiyuan Zou, Yihua Hu*, Bin Gao, W.L.Woo and Xinyu Zhao “Study of the Gradual Change Phenomenon in the Infrared Image When Monitoring Photovoltaic Array” Journal of Applied Physics, vol.115(4), 2014.
1. "Control circuits in power electronics: practical issues in design and implementation".
Chapter name: “Mixed FPGA-DSP controllers for DC-DC converters in renewable energy applications”, April, 2015.
2. "Renewable Energy", ISBN 978-953-51-4249-2, “Theoretical Analysis and Implementation of Photovoltaic Fault Diagnosis”, Sep. 2015. I am also Co-editor of this book.
3. "New Applications of Electric Drives", ISBN 978-953-51-4603-2. “Fault Diagnosis of Switched Reluctance Motors in Electrified Vehicle Applications” July, 2015.
1) EPSRC, EP/W006308/1, Closed Loop Digitalised Data Analytics and Analysis Platform (DAAP) for Intelligent Design and Manufacturing of Power Electronic Modules, 1/2/2022~30/5/2024, (£336k) PI.
2) Royal Society, IEC\NSFC\201119 - International Exchanges 2020 Cost Share (NSFC), ‘Reluctance Motor Drive and Bi-directional Charging and Discharging Integrated System for Electric Vehicles’, 1/05/2021~1/05/2023, (£12k) PI.
3) Royal Society Industry Fellowship (INF\R1\201021), “LF-OCT based Quality Inspection for Power Electronics Module Manufacturing Line”, 1/05/2020~1/05/2024, (£116k) PI.
4) Royal Academy of Engineering: Transforming Systems through Partnership (China), “ Electromagnetic Health of Electric Powertrain for Aged Electric Vehicles”, 1/04/2020~1/04/2022, (£80k) PI at York.
5) Royal Academy of Engineering: Transforming Systems through Partnership (South Africa), “ South Africa energy infrastructure planning for rural urbanisation based on optimal peer-to-peer energy sharing ” 1/04/2020~1/04/2022, (£80k) PI at York,
6) EPSRC IAA Awards, “ Line-field Optical Coherence Tomography Based Assessment for High Temperature Silicone Gel in Developing SiC Power Module” (£15k) PI.
7) EPSRC Centre for Power Electronics and EPSRC Challenge Network in Automotive Power Electronics: Knowledge Exchange Awards, “ Line-field Optical Coherence Tomography Based Assessment for High Temperature Silicone Gel in Developing SiC Power Module” (£90k) PI.
9) EPSRC Power Electronics Centre Impact Acceleration Fellowship, “ Line-field Optical Coherence Tomography Based Quality Inspection System for IGBT Modules Manufacturing/Developing”, £45k. (PI)
10) EPSRC Power Electronics Centre (1067464), “ Battery Integrated Power Electronics for EV drive train, Biped’”, £90k. (PI at Liverpool)
11) HYOSUNG CORPORATION POWER & INDUST SYSTEMS (KOREA)“Development of Simulation Model for High Voltage Gas-blast Circuit Breakers using SF6 Alternative Gases and Performance Optimisation Study”, £180k. (Co-PI)
12) EPSRC Power Electronics Centre, “Multi-physics sensor fusion for power electronic converter prognostics” RGS 127925, £90k. (PI at Liverpool)
13) eFutures Sandpit Award: Portable and Low-cost Mass Based Sensing of Hydrocarbons, £7.5k. (Co-PI)
15) Royal Society's £15K Research Grants 2017 R1, RG160685, “Hybrid bridge arm based fault tolerance solid state transformer (SST) ”15/08/2017~15/08/2018, £14.6k. (PI)
16) SANTANDER TRAVEL GRANT, visit Southeast University, £1k. (PI)
18) ERIGrid Transnational Access,（ERIGrid Reference 01.005-2016） “Fault-Tolerant Operation of a Permanent Magnetic Generator-based Wind Turbine with Four-Switch Three-Phase Converters” June. 2017. (PI)
19) UoL-NTHU joint Ph.D scholarship, “Integrated multi-port converter for switched reluctance motor based plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles,” Sep. 2017-Sep, 2021, £71.1k. (PI)
20) State Key Laboratory of Alternate Electrical Power System with Renewable Energy Sources(Grant No. LAPS17022) “PV array fault diagnosis based on Thermal-Electrical model”, Jan. 2017-Dec. 2018, RMB 50,000. (PI)
21) Researcher Exchange funding, EPSRC National Centre for Power Electronics, “Advanced control of multilevel multiphase drives for high-power high-reliability applications”, host university, £6K. (PI)
22) Low Carbon Eco-Innovatory, Graduate project, “Laboratory Simulation Application for a Reduced Carbon Footprint” Nov. 2016-Nov. 2020. £66k. (PI)
23) ETP Knowledge Exchange Network “Battery deterioration modeling and test” Nov,2015-Feb,2016, £12,480. (PI)
24) National Natural Science Foundation (NSFC), “Research on the management of PV module in scale PV array system under efficient working condition”, Project number: 51207138, Jan. 2013-Dec. 2015, RMB 250,000. (PI)
25) The State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Transmission Open Funding, “Tri-port convert for Hybrid Electrical Vehicle”, Project number: SKLMT-KFKT-201618, Jan. 2017-Dec. 2018, RMB 80,000. (PI)
26) China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, “Research on the multi-local maximum power points tracking of Photovoltaic (PV) system based on string current information”, Project number: 2012M511363, Jan. 2012-Dec. 2013, RMB 50,000. (PI)
27) Postgraduate students research funding of Jiangsu Province, “Research on Photovoltaic Maximum Power Tracking System” Project number: CX09B_114Z, RMB 20,000, Apr. 2010-Jan. 2011. (PI)
Power electronics, Renewable power generation.