BSc (Hons), PhD (Monash University)
Summary of expertise
- Model Hamiltonians
- Density Functional Theory
- Multi-scale modelling
- Raman spectroscopy
- Co-ordinator for the Quantum Physics module (3rd year)
- Co-ordinator for the 3rd Year Advanced Computational Laboratory
- Year 3 BSc Project Co-ordinator
- Member of the School Year 3 exam panel (exam vetting and monitoring)
- Graduate Admissions tutor (2011 - 2015)
- Early career academic staff member for the School's Research Committee (2011 - 2015)
- Originator and Academic Co-ordinator for the S.I.E.S.T.A.-style Graduate Seminar Series (2009 - 2013)
- Vacation Bursary and Internship Co-ordinator (2009 - 2013)
Carbon-based nano-technologies (graphene), quantum magnetism and physics at the interdisciplinary interface.
- Prof Geoff Bailey - Archaeology (York)
- Dr Fiona Brock - Archaeology (Oxford)
- Professor Matthew Collins - BioArCh (York)
- Dr Andre Colonese - BioArCh (York)
- Dr Stephen Cowling - Chemistry (York)
- Dr Beatrice Demarchi - BioArCh (York)
- HORIBA UK
- Dr Paul Genever - Biology (York)
- Professor John Goodby - Chemistry (York)
- Dr Isabel Saez - Chemistry (York)
- Prof Reidun Twarock - Biology/Mathematics/YCCSA (York)
- Dr James Walker - University of Hull
- Dr Julie Wilson - Chemistry/YCCSA (York)
- Prof David Wood - Leeds Dental Institute
- Dr Marjan van der Woude - Biology/HYMS (York)
More to be added ...
Current PhD supervision
- Mrs Raquel de Ameida Rocha Ponzoni (PhD - Raman studies of biological cells and starch) co-supervised by Dr Paul Genever (Biology) - funded by the Science Without Borders scheme.
- Mr. Andre de Lima Ponzoni (PhD - Raman studies on archaeological shells) co-supervised by Prof Geoff Bailey (Archaeology) - funded by the Science Without Borders scheme.
- Mr. Sam Hollings (PhD - Effect of Strontium Incorporation on the Gene Expression of MSCs on Glass-Ceramic Scaffolds) co-supervised with Dr Paul Genever (Biology) and Prof David Wood (Leeds Dental Institute) - funded by the White Rose Consortium DTC in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine - EPSRC funded.
- Ms. Jenny Ferguson (PhD - Bacteria Interaction with Surfaces) co-supervised with Dr Marjan van der Woude (Biology/HYMS) - EPSRC/Dept. of Physics funded.
Current MSc by Research supervision
- Mr. Charles Kershaw (MSc by Research - Raman studies of Biological Cells; Prostate Cancer and Streptomyces Bacteria Studies) co-supervised with Prof Norman Maitland and Dr Fiona Frame (Biology/Cancer Research Unit) & Prof Maggie Smith (Biology)
Previous PhD supervision
- Mr Jack Baldwin (PhD - Theoretical transport studies of graphene nanoribbons) - EPSRC funded. Graduating January 2017.
- Mr James Geraets (PhD - Kinetic self-assembly modelling of viruses and graphenes) co-supervised with Prof Reidun Twarock - Wellcome Trust Funded via CIDCATS. Graduated October 2015.
Current MPhys supervision
- Mr Tom McCain
- Mr James Crosby
- Mr Michael Tickell
- Mr Harry
Previous MPhys supervision
- Mr Alexander Dunn (MPhys project - Pathogen treatment studies using Raman spectroscopy), co-supervised with Dr Marjan van der Woude (Biology/HYMS)
- Mr Andrew Flatley (MPhys project - Raman investigations of bio-archaeological specimens)
- Mr Nick Woods (MPhys project - Development of a rapid graphene simulation tool using the tight- binding method)
Previous BSc project supervision
- Mr Andrew Brough (BSc project - Tight-binding studies of graphene nanoribbons)
- Mr Charles Kershaw (BSc project - Raman spectroscopy studies of archaeological bone)
Supervised MPhys projects awarded the School's prize for best project
- Mr Jake Hodgetts 2012-2013 (MPhys project - Raman studies of biological cells and graphene SERS)
- Mr Richard Taylor 2010-2011 (MPhys project - Theoretical and STM studies of Epi-Graphene - co-supervised by Dr Steve Tear)
Quantum Mechanics II
Co-ordinator of the Third Year Computational Laboratory