Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Role description for members
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is a sub-committee of the University Council and is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an effective equality and diversity and inclusion strategy and related policies, ensuring that these are translated into action.
- Advising the University on progress towards the fulfilment of the University’s statutory obligations in respect of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Influencing organisational and cultural change.
- Participating in relevant advisory and working groups and ensuring relevant actions are undertaken.
- Providing the Committee with their views and expertise in order to make informed recommendations.
- Monitoring the implementation and effectiveness of equality policies and activities across the University.
Knowledge and experience
- Up to date knowledge of and interest in equality, diversity and inclusion including harassment, discrimination and the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010: age, disability, race, religious belief/non-belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership.
- Experience of equality, diversity and inclusion in practice, though, for example, work with staff and / or students; policy development and/or implementation.
- Ability to view equality, diversity and inclusion issues from a range of perspectives
- Three meetings per year (November, March and June)
- Preparation for meetings including reading reports and papers]
- Members will hold the post for three years in the first instance.