Accessibility statement

Visiting Fellows Programme

The Centre welcomes enquiries from scholars – including doctoral students – wishing to come to York to work on subjects relating to toleration.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide funding.

Visiting Fellows can visit the Morrell Centre for any period up to one year.


The following are provided for academic visitors:

  • University of York email address and use of University computing facilities;
  • Use of the University Library;
  • Admission to most undergraduate lectures and workshops (note: visiting researchers are not normally admitted to Master's seminars);
  • Admission to research seminars and other public events;
  • Desk space will be provided within the Centre where possible.

Application procedure

To apply, please send the following documents by email to Matt Matravers (

  • A letter of application (no more than 1,500 words) which should outline: the title and aims of your research project; the reasons why you wish to spend time in the Centre; and how you intend to pay for your stay here;
  •  A 1-2 page CV;
  • A letter of recommendation from your Head of Department or other senior academic (e.g. current supervisor) who knows you and your work.

There is no formal deadline, applications will considered as they arrive.

Visa procedures

The Centre cannot provide advice on visas. For more information on visa applications, please visit the University's Immigration Advice Service website.

If you require a visa to enter the UK it is essential that you seek advice on how to obtain the correct visa to suit the purpose of your visit.

The best time to visit

The academic year at York is divided into three terms. These begin with Autumn term from October to mid December. The Spring term runs from January to March. The Summer term begins in April and ends in June. Term dates are published on the University's website.

The University vacation begins in July and lasts until the beginning of October. Many people are away at this time. The libraries may also open for shorter hours and may close completely for short periods.

Accommodation arrangements

The Department is unable to help with accommodation. Please contact Accommodation Services for more information.