Everyday Cities and Ordinary Lives: Ordinary Lives in Extraordinary Cities
Friday 15 June 2012, 9.00AM
09:30: Panel 1 (Chair, Simon Parker)
- David Hill and Daryl Martin (Centre for Urban Research, University of York): "Visibly Mute: Ethical Sociality and the Everyday Exurban"
- Peter Rudd (Institute for Effective Education, University of York): "The Academic and the Ordinary: Contrasting Perspectives on the Experience of Schooling in the City"
- Stella-Anne Jackson (Department of Archaeology, University of York): "The ‘Big Society’ in the ‘Big City’: a discussion on the value and significance of ‘local’ heritage in an urban context"
10:45: Tea and coffee
11:00: Keynote Address
- Michael Bull (Reader in Media and Film Studies, University of Sussex): "Rethinking the Everyday: The Role of the Empirical in Understanding Urban Experience"
12:15: Panel 2 (Chair, Bryan Radley)
- Andy Munzer (Department of English and Related Literature, University of York): "The Writer as Realtor: Place-making in Richard Ford’s “Bascombe Trilogy”
- Stephanie Lambert (Department of English and Related Literature, University of York): "Avant-Garde Cereal Boxes: Everyday Life in Don DeLillo’s White Noise"
- Jay James May (Department of English and Related Literature, University of York): "St Pancras International: A Close Walk; or, Consumer, Commuter, Criminal - What You Are In Old Agar Town"
- Angela Loxham (Department of Sociology, Lancaster University): "The Uses and Abuses of Public Space: Urban Governance, Social Ordering and Resistance. Avenham Park, Preston, c. 1850-1905"
14:45: Panel 3 (Chair, Claire Westall)
- Neal Alexander (Department of English, University of Nottingham): "Profoundly Ordinary: Jon McGregor and Everyday Life"
- Alex Beaumont (Department of English and Related Literature, University of York): "Original Modern or a New Kind of Ordinary? Regenerating and Representing the NuLab City"
- Rowland Atkinson (Centre for Urban Studies, University of York):"Monochromatic Urbanism: Developing a Typology of Non-Place Urban Space"
Meet for post-conference drinks at the Rook and Gaskill, 12 Lawrence Street YO10 3WP
Location: Bowland Auditorium, Humanities Research Centre, Berrick Saul Building