Dr Najma Siddiqi is a clinical senior lecturer in the Department of Health Sciences. She holds a joint appointment with the Hull York Medical School (HYMS), where she is a member of the Centre for Health and Population Sciences. Her research is focused on physical and mental illness comorbidity. She is leading programmes of research on diabetes and mental illness (Diabetes and Mental Illness Improving Services and Outcomes (DIAMONDS)) and delirium in care homes. She is also interested in research to improve mental health services for black and minority ethnic populations.
Najma also holds an honorary appointment with Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust, where she is leading the development of a primary care liaison psychiatry service.
- MBChB University of Birmingham
- PhD University of Leeds
Najma’s research interests are physical and mental illness comorbidity, including diabetes in severe mental illness, and delirium in care homes. She is also involved in research to develop culturally appropriate mental health interventions and services for black and minority ethnic populations.
Diabetes and severe mental illness
- The DIAMONDS programme (Diabetes and Mental Illness Improving Outcomes and Services) NIHR Yorkshire & Humber CLAHRC Mental Health Theme
- Developing and evaluating a diabetes self-management education intervention for people with severe mental illness NIHR Programme Development Grant
- Systematic Review: Interventions to improve diabetes outcomes in severe mental illness
Delirium and care homes
- PITSTOP Study: A pilot cluster randomised trial of Stop Delirium in care homes for older people NIHR Research for Patient Benefit
- Cochrane review of interventions to prevent delirium in hospitalised non-ICU patients
- Development and validation of the 4AT: a new triage tool for delirium NIHR HTA
- Investigation of the Delirium Observation Screening Scale for the routine detection of delirium in care homes by care home staff NIHR Research for Patient Benefit
- Evaluating the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of Dementia Care Mapping (DCM) to enable Person-centred Care Training (PCCT) for people with dementia and staff: A UK cluster randomised controlled trial in care homes NIHR HTA
- Development and preliminary testing of strategies to enhance routine physical activity in care homes. NIHR Programme
- Prevention of Delirium NIHR Programme
Culture and ethnicity
- Multi centre RCT of a group psychological intervention for postnatal depression in British mothers of South Asian origin - ROSHNI-D NIHR HTA
- Cultural adaptation of the ACE-III for British South Asians BDCFT
- Partnership working between mental health services and traditional healers BDCFT
- Ethnicity and GP practice effects on access and outcomes for IAPT services BDCFT
- Partnership working between mental health services and faith healers
- Diabetes and Severe Mental Illness in South Asians
Najma would be interested in supervising PhDs in the following areas: physical and mental illness comorbidity; delirium and care homes research.