Dr Dean McMillan has a joint appointment between Hull York Medical School and the Department of Health Sciences, University of York. He is a clinical psychologist with research interests in the development and evaluation of brief psychological interventions for common mental health problems.
- BA/MA, King’s College, University of Cambridge
- PhD, University College London
- DClinPsych, University of Manchester
- Diploma in Cognitive Therapy, University of Durham
Dean's research interests are in behavioural activation, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, low-intensity psychological interventions, and diagnostic test accuracy of psychological screening instruments.
- Addressing Depression in Muslim Communities: Development of a Treatment Manual for Professionals (Funder: NIHR RfPB; Role: co-applicant)
- Autism Spectrum Social Stories in Schools Trial ( ) (Funder: NIHR HTA; Role: Lead for systematic review phase)
- Collaborative Care and Active Surveillance for Screen-positive Elders with Sub-clinical Depression: A Pilot Study and Definitive Randomised Evaluation (CASPER trial) (Funder NIHR HTA; Role: co-applicant)
- Collaborative Care and Active Surveillance for Screen-positive Elders with Major Depression: ( trial) (Funder NIHR HTA; Role: co-applicant)
- Costs and Outcome of Behavioural Activation (COBRA trial) (Funder: NIHR HTA; Role: co-applicant)
- Early Parenting Interventions for Families with Young Children Showing Severe Attachment Problems: An Integrated Evidence Synthesis (Funder: NIHR HTA; Role: co-applicant)
- Obsessive Compulsive Treatment Efficacy Trial (OCTET) (Funder: NIHR HTA; Role: Site lead)
- Screening for Psychological and Mental Health Difficulties of Young People who Offend: An Integrated Evidence Synthesis and Value of Information Analysis (Funder: NIHR HTA; Role: Principle Investigator)
- Sudden gains in cognitive therapy for panic disorder (Funder: BABCP; Role: Supervisor)
- Born and Bred in Yorkshire: Birth Cohort Study (BABY)
- Born And Bred in Yorkshire: Perinatal Depression Diagnostic Accuracy Study (BABY PaNDA)
- COBID - a feasibility trial of behavioural activation to improve depression for people with substance misuse
Dean is keen to supervise PhDs in the following areas: evaluation of low intensity psychosocial interventions, systematic reviews and diagnostic test accuracy studies of psychological measures.