To manage your career effectively, it is essential that you identify what your goals are and the steps you need to take to achieve them.
If you do not already have a very clear idea already about what you want to do, then this simple model is designed to help you get started:
- Identify or clarify your career goals. What do you want/need?
- Consider your strengths, skills and experiences. This may include a range of activities including voluntary and unpaid positions - what transferable skills have you gained?
Reflect on your current position
- Does your current situation meet your needs, desires and preferences?
- How are your strengths being used/developed?
- How could you improve things? Could you make adjustments to your working style /negotiate some changes to your current job / identify and exploit opportunities to address any gaps or change your role?
Once you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and have developed your professional and career development plan (PCDP), you will be able to have a meaningful discussion with your line manager or lay down your own plans to what your next steps are to achieving your goals.