Research Degrees

MA by Research, MPhil, PhD


Applications are invited from graduates who wish to read for research degrees, MA, MPhil, or PhD, full-time or part-time in English, History, History of Art, or Philosophy. The Centre welcomes applicants with single-subject and interdisciplinary research topics within the chronological period 1650-1850. The interests of CECS staff are very extensive and supervision can be offered on an extremely wide range of research topics. Their research interests, and the resources available at York, are fully described in individual staff entries.

How to apply for a research degree


Students wishing to apply for a research degree are invited to make preliminary contacts with members of staff and the Centre informally. They should indicate their interest in the Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies, and any preference for an individual supervisor on their application. Research proposals should be as specific as possible, and should be accompanied by a piece of written work relevant to the proposed field of study.

PhD candidates will be registered for the MPhil in the first instance. Candidates may re-register for the PhD as soon as they have demonstrated that the range and depth of their enquiry is of doctoral potential, but should note that re-registration for the PhD is by no means a formality.

See  the options below for detailed information about applying to individual departments:

Research Degrees in English
Research Degrees in History
Research Degrees in the History of Art

The Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies has a small PhD workroom available (space permitting) to PhD students working on research within the period interests of the Centre.  This is located on the King's Manor campus (York city centre) and includes 8 PCs, with the additional facilities of a fridge, microwave and kettle. 

For informal enquiries about research degrees, please contact individual members of staff, or email cecs1@york.ac.uk