Andrew Jones, PhD (York), is Professor of Economics at the University of York, UK, where he was Head of the Department of Economics and Related Studies between January 2011 and September 2015. He was responsible for the running of the MSc in Health Economics at York between 1994 and 2011. During that time there were over 500 graduates from more than 70 different countries. He has also supervised more than 30 PhD students. He was an editor of Health Economics for 25 years. He edited the Elgar Companion to Health Economics and the 3 volume Oxford Encyclopedia of Health Economics. He was elected to the executive board of the International Health Economics Association (iHEA) and was chair of their Arrow Award committee. He was president-elect of the European Health Economics Association (EuHEA) 2014-16, president 2016-18 and past-president 2018-20.
- Research Director, Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG)
- Performance Reviewer
- Health Economics Cluster Leader
- Research Champion
- Member of DMT
- Member of DRC
Andrew Jones researches and publishes in the areas of microeconometrics and health economics with particular interests in the determinants of health, the economics of addiction and socioeconomic inequalities in health and health care. He is author of the chapter 'health econometrics' in the Handbook of Health Economics and of chapters in the Oxford Handbook of Health Economics, Oxford Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Oxford Handbook of Panel Data, the Palgrave Handbook of Econometrics and the Ellgar Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Empirical Microeconomics. He has a particular interest in developing and disseminating the use of applied econometrics in health economics. In 1992 he established the European Workshops on Econometrics and Health Economics, which are co-organised with Owen O'Donnell (Erasmus University). He held a Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship, 2017-20. Andrew is the research director of the Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG).
See https://www.york.ac.uk/economics/hedg/ for details.
- Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship, 2017-2020, Using new biosocial data to explore inequality of opportunity in health.
- ESRC 2015-18, How do biomarkers and genetics contribute to understanding health and society
- ESRC Large Grant 2009-13, Health, Econometrics and Data Group
- European Union 2006-08, Marie Curie Training Programme in Applied Health Economics
- Anglo German Foundation 2004-06, Health retirement and inequality: can Germany and the UK learn from each other?
- European Union 2003-05, ECuity III: The dynamics of income, health and inequality over the life cycle
- ESRC 1999-2001, Simulation-based econometric approaches to investigating the interaction of health and lifestyle
- ESRC 1998-99, Using panel data to investigate the interactions of health and lifestyle
- European Union 1992 (SPES) 1993-94 (HCM) 1996-98 (TMR) 2000-02 (IHP), European Workshops on Econometrics and Health Economics
Available PhD research projects
Happy to consider PhD applications in health economics and applied microeconometrics.
Prizes & awards for former PhD students
- Roberto Leon Gonzalez awarded prize for the American Statistical Association 2003 Joint Statistical Meetings student paper competition
- Teresa Bago d’Uva awarded first prize in the student competition at the iHEA 5th World Congress, Barcelona, July 2005
- Pedro Rosa Dias awarded first prize in the student competition at the iHEA 7th World Congress, Beijing, July 2009
- Ranjeeta Thomas awarded first prize in the student competition at the iHEA 8th World Congress, Toronto, July 2011
- Daniel Howden awarded Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Prize, 2013
- James Lomas awarded Royal Economic Society Junior Fellowship, 2013-14
- James Lomas (along with Andrew Jones and Nigel rice) awarded the inaugural Willard G. Manning award for the Best Research in Health Econometrics by the American Society of Health Economists, 2016.
Full details of publications can be found at RePEc
- Jones, A.M. (ed.) The Elgar Companion to Health Economics Second Edition, Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 2012.
- Jones, A.M., Rice, N., Bago d’Uva, T. and Balia, S., Applied Health Economics, Second Edition, London: Routledge, 2012.
- Jones, A.M., Applied Econometrics for Health Economists: A Practical Guide, second edition, Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Publishing, 2007.
- Jones, A.M. and O'Donnell O.A. (eds.), Econometric Analysis of Health Data, Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 233 pages, hardback, 2002.
- Jones, A.M. Data Visualization and Health Econometrics, Boston: Now Publishers, 91 pages, paperback, 2017.
- Jones, A.M. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Health Economics, New York, Oxford University Press, 3 Volume Set.