Dr Stephen Andrews
Phone: 01904 321215
Instrument Design Manager
Accurate measurements are the cornerstone on which atmospheric chemistry knowledge is built. From the deepest oceans to the highest altitudes, analytical equipment has enabled us to determine oceanic and atmospheric composition: driving climate models and furthering our understanding of the world in which we all inhabit.
My experience in analytical instrumentation is built upon extensive field experience and a global network of expert contacts. Harsh environments are the norm, with systems deployed in the Arctic Ocean, South East Asian rainforests and onboard research aircraft, to name a few. My research strives to forward the analytical state of the art. This includes revision and improvements of existing techniques, but also novel technologies to address current climate issues.
- Basin-scale observations of monoterpenes in the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans. Sina C Hackenberg, Stephen J Andrews, Ruth L Airs, Steve R Arnold, Heather A Bouman, Denise Cummings, Alastair C Lewis, Jamie K Minaeian, Kristen M Reifel, Alison Small, Glen A Tarran, Gavin H Tilstone, Lucy J Carpenter. Environ. Sci. Technol., 51 (18), pp 10449–10458, 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.7b02240
- Potential controls of isoprene in the surface ocean. SC Hackenberg, SJ Andrews, R Airs, SR Arnold, HA Bouman, RJW Brewin, RJ Chance, D Cummings, G Dall'Olmo, AC Lewis, JK Minaeian, KM Reifel, A Small, GA Tarran, GH Tilstone, LJ Carpenter, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 31, 644–662, 2017, DOI:10.1002/2016GB005531
- The Convective Transport of Active Species in the Tropics (CONTRAST) experiment. LL Pan, EL Atlas, RJ Salawitch, SB Honomichl, JF Bresch, WJ Randel, EC Apel, RS Hornbrook, AJ Weinheimer, DC Anderson, SJ Andrews, S Baidar, SP Beaton, TL Campos, Lucy Jane Carpenter, D Chen, B Dix, V Donets, SR Hall, TF Hanisco, CR Homeyer, LG Huey, JB Jensen, L Kaser, DE Kinnison, TK Koenig, J-F Lamarque, C Liu, J Luo, ZJ Luo, DD Montzka, JM Nicely, RB Pierce, DD Riemer, T Robinson, P Romashkin, A Saiz-Lopez, S Schauffler, O Shieh, MH Stell, K Ullmann, G Vaughan, R Volkamer, G Wolfe, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, pp. 106-128, 2017, DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00272.1
- A comparison of very short lived halocarbon (VSLS) and DMS aircraft measurements in the tropical west Pacific from CAST, ATTREX and CONTRAST. Stephen J Andrews, Lucy J Carpenter, Eric C Apel, Elliot Atlas, Valeria Donets, James R Hopkins, Rebecca S Hornbrook, Alastair C Lewis, Richard T Lidster, Richard Lueb, Jamie Minaeian, Maria Navarro, Shalini Punjabi, Daniel Riemer, Sue Schauffler, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 9, 5213-5225, 2016, DOI: 10.5194/amt-9-5213-2016
- A fully automated purge and trap GC-MS system for quantification of volatile organic compound (VOC) fluxes between the ocean and atmosphere. SJ Andrews, SC Hackenberg, and LJ Carpenter, Ocean Sci., 11, 313-321, 2015, DOI: 10.5194/os-11-313-2015