Dr David Pugh
Associate Lecturer in Laboratory Teaching
I carried out my MChem and Ph.D here at the University of York, before taking a position to coordinate the laboratory teaching in the department.
My responsibilities at York are:
- Teach across all undergraduate laboratory courses
- Manage graduates in their laboratory teaching
- Coordinate changes in laboratory teaching in conjunction with course organisers
- Represent laboratory teaching at Departmental Safety Management Group
- Provide departmental support as a Departmental Computing Officer
- Provide support to graduates with instrumentation
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
My main interests in teaching are focussed around laboratory teaching across all sub-disciplines within chemistry. I have a particular interest in the following areas:
- School to university transition
- Coherent development of students practical skills
- Assessment approaches within laboratories
- Teaching of safety in a chemistry laboratory context
- Preparation of 3-Alkylated Oxindoles from N-Benzyl Aniline via a Cu(II)-Mediated Anilide Cyclization Process.
D S Pugh, R J K Taylor, J S Alford and H M L Davies, Org. Synth., 2012, 89, 438.
- Asymmetric Decarboxylative Allylation of Oxindoles.
V Franckevicius, J D Cuthbertson, M Pickworth, D S Pugh and R J K Taylor, Org. Lett., 2011, 13, 4264.
- A one pot oxidation / allylation / oxidation sequence for the preparation of β,γ-unsaturated ketones directly from primary alcohols.
C L Moody, D S Pugh and R J K Taylor, Tetrahedron Lett., 2011, 52, 2511.
- First C−H Activation Route to Oxindoles using Copper Catalysis.
J E M N Klein, A Perry, D S Pugh and R J K Taylor, Org. Lett., 2010, 12, 3446.
- Preparation of 3-Alkyl-Oxindoles by Copper(II)-Mediated C-H, Ar-H Coupling Followed by Decarboxyalkylation.
D S Pugh, J E M N Klein, A Perry and R J K Taylor, Synlett, 2010, 934-938.
- The Preparation of Substituted Pyrazoles from β,β-Dibromo-enones by a Tandem Condensation/Suzuki-Miyaura Cross-Coupling Process.
S Beltrán-Rodil, M G Edwards, D S Pugh, M Reid and R J K Taylor, Synlett, 2010, 602-606.
- Gem-Dimethylcyclopropanation of Dibenzylideneacetone Using Triisopropyl Sulfoxonium Tetrafluoroborate.
M G Edwards, D S Pugh, A C Whitwood, and R J K Taylor, Acta Crystallographica Section C, 2009, o39-o41
- Gem-Dimethylcyclopropanation using Triisopropylsulfoxonium Tetrafluoroborate: Scope and Limitations.
M G Edwards, R J Paxton, D S Pugh, A C Whitwood, and R J K Taylor, Synthesis, 2008, 3279-3288.
- An Improved gem-Dimethylcyclopropanation Procedure Using Triisopropylsulfoxonium Tetrafluoroborate.
M G Edwards, R J Paxton, D S Pugh, and R J K Taylor, Synlett, 2008, 521-524.
- January 2019 RSC Higher Education Chemistry Teaching Network Meeting: Finding marks in summative direct lab skills assessments
- January 2018 RSC Higher Education Chemistry Teaching Network Meeting: Finding teaching weaknesses through laboratory assessment
- December 2015 RSC Higher Education Chemistry Teaching Network Meeting: Design and application of a cost-effective, robust photometer
- 2016: Vice Chancellor's Teaching Award
- 2016: Students' Union Best Communicator
- 2015: Professional@York Outstanding Project of the Year
- 2014: Students' Union Highly Commended Demonstrator
- 2013: Vice Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Achievement