Dr Glenn Hurst
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) Chemical Education
I completed my MChem at Durham University followed by a PhD in polymer chemistry at Newcastle University. I love teaching and I joined the Department of Chemistry at the University of York in 2014 as an Associate Lecturer. I was promoted to a Lecturer in 2017. My role comprises of developing innovative teaching and scholarship within the Department, the School of Natural Sciences and the University.
My research interests are in the field of chemistry education at all levels. Current areas of investigation include:
- Green and Sustainable Chemistry Education
- Game-Based Learning
- Social Media in Higher Education
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Training
- Director of Studies for Natural Sciences in Chemistry
- Practical Course Coordinator for Natural Sciences in Chemistry
- Joint Practical Course Coordinator for Year 2 Advanced Synthesis
- Group Exercises Coordinator
- Postgraduates who Teach and Graduate Teaching Assistant Training Coordinator
- Member of the Staff Student Forum
- Teaching Forum Coordinator
- Chair of Natural Sciences Teaching Committee
- Chair of Natural Sciences Exceptional Circumstances affecting Assessment Committee
- Chair of University of York Learning and Teaching Forum
- York Learning and Teaching Award Supervisor
- Facilitating active learning within green chemistry.
L Summerton, G A Hurst and J. H. Clark, Curr. Opin. Green Sustainable Chem., 2018, 13, 56–60.
- Utilizing Snapchat to Facilitate Engagement with and Contextualization of Undergraduate Chemistry
G A Hurst, J Chem Educ, 2018, 95, 1875–1880.
- An App for Applicants
G A Hurst, A. F. Parsons, K Sayer, J. D. Hook and C Fulford. FORUM Learning and Teaching Magazine, 2017.
- Green and Smart: Hydrogels to Facilitate Independent Practical Learning Invited Article in Special Issue
G A Hurst, J Chem Educ, 2017, 94, 1766-1771.
- Using Greener Gels to Explore Rheology.
B Garrett, A S Matharu and G A Hurst, J Chem Educ, 2017, 94, 500–504.
- The rheological properties of poly(vinyl alcohol) gels from rotational viscometry.
G A Hurst, M Bella and C G Salzmann, J Chem Educ, 2015, 92, 940–945.
- An interdisciplinary summer for interdisciplinary students
G A Hurst, B Garrett, J Webb and A F Parsons. FORUM Learning and Teaching Magazine, 2016.
- GRASPing opportunities for our postgraduate and undergraduate students
G A Hurst and A S Matharu. FORUM Learning and Teaching Magazine, 2016.
- Inclusive postgraduate teaching in the Department of Chemistry.
G A Hurst* and R A W Smith. FORUM Learning and Teaching Magazine, 2015.
- Genipin cross-linked chitosan-polyvinylpyrrolidone hydrogels: influence of composition and postsynthesis treatment on pH responsive behaviour.
C J Nwosu, G A Hurst and K Novakovic. Adv Mater Sci Eng, 2015. 5.
- A facile in situ morphological characterisation of smart genipin-crosslinked chitosan-poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) hydrogels.
G A Hurst and K Novakovic. J Mater Res, 2013, 28, 2401-2408
- Electroless deposition of multi-functional zinc oxide surfaces displaying photoconductive, superhydrophobic, photowetting, and antibacterial properties.
T J Wood, G A Hurst, W C E Schofield, R L Thompson, G Oswald, J S O Evans, G J Sharples, C Pearson, M C Petty and J P S Badyal. J Mater Chem, 2012, 22, 3859-3867.
- Using electron induced dissociation (EID) on an LC time-scale to characterize a mixture of analogous small organic molecules.
A S Prakash, M J P Smith, Z Kaabia, G Hurst, C Yan, M Sims, A W T Bristow, P Stokes, D Parker, J A Mosely. J Amer Soc Mass Spec, 2012, 23, 850-857.
Lecturer of the following courses: Stereochemistry, Aromatic Chemistry and Organic Carbonyls, NMR, Electronic, Vibrational and Rotational Spectra, “Designer” Polymers
- MChem (York)/MChem (Industry)/BSc project supervisor (blended learning, assessment, outreach etc)
- Senior Demonstrator across all subjects
- Support teaching for chemists, biochemists and natural scientists
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Training Coordinator
- York Learning and Teaching Award Supervisor
Awards and Highlights
- Shortlisted in ‘The Most Innovative Teacher of the Year’ award category by Times Higher Education (THE) 2018
- JISC Higher Education Social Media Superstar
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Frequent talks across the globe to include:
- University of Chicago, USA
- Belem, Brazil
- Maastricht University, Netherlands
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Chair: Higher Education Group Committee
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Local Section Committee
- American Chemical Society