Are you a member of the University of York Pension Fund, and want to help run your scheme?
Here's your chance! Two positions as Member Nominated Directors (referred to as MNDs) of the Pension Trust Company will shortly become available. Read on to find out more about how you could become an MND.
What is an MND
There are four MNDs who work with the Employer Nominated Directors and independent professional Chair to run the University of York Pension Fund.
They are elected by contributing and pensioner members of the Fund. They are elected for a term of four years and can stand for subsequent re-election.
But I don't know anything about pensions
Don't worry — you're still able to get involved.
MNDs have professional advisers to help them carry out their duties and perform the role effectively. Resources are provided by the University to carry out administration on MNDs behalf.
There is a training programme available to help new MNDs develop their pensions knowledge and there are also training opportunities available throughout the year. Directors attend around four meetings per year.
What does an MND do?
- Represent the interests of all members of the Pension Fund
- Act within the law and in accordance with the terms of the Fund's Trust Deed and Rules
- Oversee and protect the financial position and integrity of the Fund
- Decide on investment strategy
- Monitor and amend benefits provided
Who can be an MND?
- An MND must be aged 18 or over
- MNDs are usually contributing members of the Fund
- Certain people can't be MNDs (such as those declared bankrupt or with criminal convictions relating to dishonesty)
- The University can, in rare circumstances, bar an unsuitable candidate from election
How do I get involved?
If you want to put yourself forward for the position of MND, complete this form and return it to the pension's office by 7 February 2020.
If there are more applicants than positions available, a ballot will be held amongst the membership to elect MNDs. If there are less applicants than positions available, then, subject to meeting the eligibility criteria, applicants are generally appointed at the next Trustee meeting.
Call Gillian, the Pensions Manager on (01904 32) 4845 or email email@example.com to find out more. We'd love to have you on board!