To provide a mentoring provision throughout the University of York, where less experienced staff can be matched with more experienced staff and benefit from their knowledge and experiences, thereby maximising the potential of mentees within the university and utilising the skills, knowledge and experience of mentors.
Key strategic drivers for the launch of this scheme are :
- University Strategy - "We will provide guidance, training, mentoring and support as required..."
- Athena Swan - Mentoring is a key part of the Athena Swan equality initiative
- Concordat - "Mentoring arrangements should be supported by employers as a key mechanism for career development and enhancement"
- Research Strategy - "By recruiting and retaining the best researchers at all career stages, and supporting and mentoring existing staff, so as to offer all staff an attractive environment in which their research can flourish".
- "Talent Management" Paper - endorsed by UEB
Who is it for?
This scheme is for all academic, research (including post-docs), training and scholarship staff who have completed their probation period (it is assumed that mentoring will be in place for those currently within probation).