Mike is Professor of Health Economics and was Director of the Centre from December 1995 to September 2005. His particular field of interest is in the economic evaluation of health care treatments and programmes. He has undertaken evaluations in a wide range of medical fields including care of the elderly, neonatal intensive care, immunisation programmes, services for people with AIDS, eye health care and pharmaceuticals.
He is the author of two major textbooks and more than 600 scientific papers, has acted as a consultant to the World Health Organization and was Project Leader of a European Union Project on the Methodology of Economic Appraisal of Health Technology. He has also served on the Boards of Directors of the International Society of Technology Assessment in Health Care and the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. He has been President of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. He is currently Co-Editor-in-Chief of Value in Health.
Professor Drummond has been awarded two honorary degrees, from City University, London (2008) and Erasmus University, Rotterdam (2012). In 2010 he was made a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies in the USA, being one of only 27 members from the UK.
Mike Drummond is the recipient of The John Eisenberg Award, in recognition of exemplary leadership in the practical application of medical decision-making research, by the Society for Medical Decision Making at its annual conference in Phoenix AZ, USA, October 2012.
His recent projects relate to the conduct of economic evaluations and their use in health care decision making. These include:
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database (funded by NHS R&D)
- Assessment of the socio-economic value of medical devices (funded by the European Health Technology Insitute)
Mike's recent projects relate to the conduct of economic evaluations and their use in health care decision making. These include:
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database (funded by NHS R&D)
- Assessment of the socio-economic value of medical devices (funded by the European Health Technology Institute)
Full publications list
Listed below is a selection of Professor Drummond's publications
- Ricciardi GW, Toumi M, Weil-Olivier C, Ruitenberg EJ, Dankó D, Duru G, Picazo J, Zollner Y, Poland G, Drummond M. Comparison of NITAG policies and working processes in selected developed countries. Vaccine 2015;33(1):3-11.
- Tsoi B, O’Reilly D, Masucci L, Drummond MF, Goeree R. Harmonization of HTA-based reimbursement and regulatory approval activities: a qualitative study. Journal of Population Therapeutics and Clinical Pharmacology 2015;22(1):e78-e89.
- Briggs A, Drummond MF. Reporting guidelines for health economic evaluation: BMJ guidelines for authors and peer reviewers of economic submissions. In:Moher D, Altman DG, Schulz KF, Simera I, Wager E (eds.) Guidelines for Reporting Health Research: A Users Manual. John Wiley & Sons;2014
- Drummond M. Why has Sweden been so prominent in health economics? In: Culyer A, Kobelt G, (eds). Portrait of a Health Economist. Lund, Sweden. The Swedish Institute for Health Economics 2014;pp:39-44.
- Drummond M, de Pouvourville G, Jones E, Haig J, Saba G, Cawston H. A comparative analysis of two contrasting European approaches for rewarding the value added by drugs for cancer: England versus France. Pharmacoeconomics 2014;32(5):509-20.
- Drummond M, Towse A. Orphan drugs policies: a suitable case for treatment. European Journal of Health Economics 2014;15(4):335-340.
- Jönsson L, Sandin R, Ekman M, Ramsberg J, Charbonneau C, Huang X, Jönsson B, Weinstein M, Drummond MF. Analyzing overall survival in randomized controlled trials with cross-over and implications for economic evaluation. Value in Health 2014;17(6);707-713.
- Shih Y-CT, Mullins DC, Drummond M. The role of economic evaluation in meeting IOM's recommendations on delivering high-quality cancer care. Value in health 2014;17(5):497-500.
- Sorenson C, Drummond M. Improving medical device regulation: the United States and Europe in perspective. The Milbank Quarterly 2014;92(1):114-50.
- Sorenson C, Drummond MF, Torbica A, Callea G, Mateus C. The role of hospital payments in the adoption of new medical technologies: an international survey of current practice. Health Economics, Policy and Law 2014;doi:10.1017/S1744133114000358.
- Tarricone R, Ferrè F, Torbica A, Drummond MF. Generating appropriate clinical data for value assessment of medical devices: what role does regulation play? Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research 2014;14(5):707-718.
- Weatherly H, Cookson R, Drummond M. Economic evaluation of public health interventions: methodological challenges. In: Culyer AJ (ed.) Encyclopedia of Health Economics, Vol 1. San Diego: Elsevier; 2014. pp. p217-223.
- Wilkinson G, Drummond M. Impact of reimbursement policies on the adoption of medical devices in an outpatient setting. Health Policy and Technology 2014;3(4):281-286.
Drummond MF. Twenty years of using economic evaluations for drug reimbursement decisions. What has been achieved? Journal of health politics policy and law 2013;38(6):1081-1102.
Drummond MF. Future prospects for pharmacoeconomics and outcomes research in the emerging regions. Value in Health Regional Issues May 2013;2(1):3-4.
Drummond MF, Daniel Mullins C. Improving the quality of papers published in pharmacoeconomics and outcomes research. Value in health: the journal of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 2013;16(2):229-30.
Drummond MF, Shemilt I, Vale L, On behalf of the Campbell and Cochrane Economic Methods group. Should the Cochrane Collaboration be producing reviews of efficiency? Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013 October 24;10: ED000071.
Drummond MF, Tarricone R, Torbica A. Assessing the added value of health technologies: reconciling different perspectives. Value in Health 2013;16:S7-S13.
Favato G, Baio G, Capone A, Marcellusi A, Costa S, Garganese G, Picardo M, Drummond MF, Jonsson B, Scambia G, Zweifel P, Mennini F. Transparency or proper study valuation procedures missed? Medical Care 2013;51(4):374-378.
Husereau D, Drummond MF, Petrou S, Carswell C, Mother D, Greenberg D, Augustovski F, Briggs AH, Mauskopf J, Loder E. Consolidated Health Economic Evaluation Reporting Standards (CHEERS) statement. British Medical Journal 2013;Mar25:346.f1049.
Husereau D, Drummond M, Petrou S, Carswell C, Mother D, Greenberg D, Augustovski F, Briggs AH, Mauskopf J, Loder E. Consolidated Health Economic Evaluation Reporting Standards (CHEERS) - explanation and elaboration: A report of the ISPOR health economic evaluation publication guidelines good reporting practices task force. Value in Health 2013;16(2):231-250.
Lensberg B, Drummond MF, Danchenko N, Despiégel N, François C. Challenges in measuring and valuing productivity costs, and their relevance in mood disorders. ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes Research 2013;5:565-573
Shemilt I, McDaid D, Marsh K, Henderson C, Bertranou E, Mallander J, Drummond MF, Mugford M, Vale L. Issues in the incorporation of economic perspectives and evidence into Cochrane reviews. Systematic Reviews 2013 Sep 20;2(83):10.1186/2046-4053-2-83.
Sorenson C, Drummond MF, Bhuiyan Khan B. Medical technology as a key driver of rising health expenditures: disentangling the relationship. ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes Research 2013;5:223-234.
Sorenson C, Drummond MF, Wilkinson G. Use of innovation payments to encourage the adoption of new medical technologies in the English NHS. Health Policy and Technology 2013;2(3):168-173.
Spinner D, Birt J, Walter J, Bowman LLB, Mauskopf J, Drummond MF, Copley-Merriman C. Do different clinical evidence bases lead to discordant health-technology assessment decisions? An in-depth case series across three jurisdictions. ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes Research 2013;5:69-85.
Tsoi B, Masucci L, Campbell K, Drummond MF, O'Reilly D, Goeree R. Harmonization of reimbursement and regulatory approval processes: a systematic review of international experiences. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 2013;13(4):497-511.
- Drummond MF. Twenty years of using economic evaluations for reimbursement decisions. What have we achieved? Centre for Health Economics, University of York; CHE Research Paper 75 (PDF , 765kb)2012.
- Drummond MF. Economic evaluation and decision makers In: Jones AM, editor. The Elgar Companion to Health Economics. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar; 2012. p. 640.
- Drummond MF, Neumann P, Jonsson B, Luce B, Schwartz J, Siebert U, Sullivan S. Can we reliably benchmark health technology assessment organizations? International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2012;28(2):159-65.
- Drummond MF, Towse A. Is it time to reconsider the role of patient co-payments for pharmaceuticals in Europe? European Journal of Health Economics 2012;13:1-5.
- Sorenson C, Drummond MF, Chalkidou K. Comparative effectiveness research: the NICE experience. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2012;Special Series issue, in press.
- Backhouse M, Wonder M, Hornby E, Kilburg A, Drummond MF, Mayer FK. Early dialogue between the developers of new technologies and pricing and reimbursement agencies. Value in Health 2011;14(4):608-15.
- Drummond MF, Jönsson B, Rutten F, Stargardt T. Reimbursement of pharmaceuticals: reference pricing versus health technology assessment. The European Journal of Health Economics 2011;12:263-71.
Garau M, Shah K, Mason A, Wang Q, Towse A, Drummond M. Using QALYs in cancer: a review of the methodological limitations. Pharmacoeconomics 2011;29(8):673-85.
- Sampat B, Drummond MF. Another special relationship? interactions between health technology policies and health care systems in the United States and the United Kingdom. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 2011;36:119-39.
- Sorenson C, Tarricone R, Siebert M, Drummond MF. Applying health economics for policy decision making: do devices differ from drugs? Europace Spotlight Supplement 2011;13:ii54-ii58.
- Walker S, Sculpher M, Drummond MF. The methods of cost-effectiveness analysis to inform decisions about the use of health care interventions and programmes. In: Smith PC, Glied S, editors. Oxford Handbook of Health Economics. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2011. p. 733-58.
- Barbieri M, Drummond M, Rutten F, Cook J, Glick H, Lis J, Reed SD, Sculpher M, Severens J. on behalf of the ISPOR Good Research Practices Economic Data Transferability Task Force. What do international pharmacoeconomic guidelines say about economic data transferability? Value in Health 2010;13:1028-37.
- Luce B, Drummond M, Jonsson B, Neumann PJ, Schwartz JS, Siebert U, Sullivan SD. (The International Working Group for HTA Advancement ). EBM, HTA and CER: clearing the confusion. The Millbank Quarterly 2010;88(2):256-76.
- Mason A, Drummond M, Ramsey S, Campbell J, Raisch D. Comparison of anticancer drug coverage decisions in the United States and United Kingdom: does the evidence support the rhetoric? Journal of Clinical Oncology 2010;28(20):3234-38.
- Neumann PJ, Drummond M, Jonsson B, Luce BR, Schwartz JS, Siebert U, Sullivan S. Are Key Principles for improved health technology assessment supported and used by health technology assessment organizations? International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2010;26(1):71-78.
- Pichon-Riviere A, Augustovski F, Rubinstein A, Marti SG, Sullivan SD, Drummond M. Health technology assessment for resource allocation decisions: are key principles relevant for Latin America? . International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2010;26:421-27.
- Shemilt I, Mugford M, Vale L, Marsh K, Donaldson C, Drummond MF. Evidence synthesis, economics and public policy. Research Synthesis Methods 2010;1:126-135.
Augustovski F, Iglesias C, Manca A, Drummond M, Rubinstein A, Garcia Marti S. Barriers to generalizability of health economic evaluations in Latin America and the Caribbean region. Pharmacoeconomics 2009;27(11):919-29.
Cookson R, Drummond M, Weatherly H. Explicit incorporation of equity considerations into economic evaluation of public health interventions. Health Economics Policy and Law. 2009;4(2):231-45.
Cookson R, Drummond M, Weatherly H. Explicit incorporation of equity considerations into economic evaluation of public health interventions. Reply to Richardson and Shiell. Health Economics Policy and Law. 2009;4(2):261-263.
Drummond M, Barbieri M, Cook J, Glick H, Lis J, Malik F, Reed S, Rutten F, Sculpher M, Severens J. Transferability of economic evaluations across jurisdictions: ISPOR Good Practices Task Force report. Value in Health. 2009;12:409-18.
- Drummond M, Brixner D, Gold M, Kind P, McGuire A, Nord E. Consensus Development Group (2009) Toward a consensus on the QALY. Value in Health 2009;12(Suppl1):S31-35.
Weatherly H, Drummond M,
Claxton K, Cookson R, Ferguson B, Godfrey C, Sculpher M, et al. Methods for assessing the cost-effectiveness of public health interventions: key challenges and recommendations. Health Policy
209;93:85-92. Download from elsevierhealth
, Iglesias C, Cooper NJ. Systematic reviews and economic evaluations conducted for the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellance in the United Kingdom: A game of two halves? International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care
. 2008;24:146-50. Download from Cambridge Journals
- Drummond MF, Schwartz JS, Jönsson B, Luce BR, Neumann PJ. Key principles for the improved conduct of health technology assessments for resource allocation decisions. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2008;24(3):244-58.
Drummond M, Weatherly H, Ferguson B. Economic evaluation of health interventions: a broader perspective is needed that include potential cost and benefits for all stakeholders. British Medical Journal. 2008;337:a1204.
Griffin S, Weatherly H, Richardson G, Drummond M. Methodological issues in undertaking independant cost-effectiveness analysis for NICE: the case of therapies for ADHD. The European Journal of Health Economics. 2008;9(2):137-45
Bansback N, Maetzel A, Drummond MF, Anis A, Marra C, Conway P, et al. Considerations and preliminary proposals for defining a reference case for economic evaluations in ankylosing spondylitis. The Journal of Rheumatology. 2007;34(5):1178-83.
Drummond MF. Evidence for coverage decisions: the need for a reality check. Value in Health. 2007;10(5):321.
Drummond MF. NICE: A nightmare worth having? Health Economics, Policy and Law. 2007;2(2):203-8.
Drummond MF, Mason A. European perspective on the costs and cost-effectiveness of cancer therapies. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2007;25(2):191-5.
Drummond MF, Wilson D, Kanavos P, Ubel P, Rovira J. Assessing the economic challenges posed by orphan drugs. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care. 2007;23(1):36-42.
Hanratty B, Craig D, Nixon J, Rice S, Christie J, Drummond MF. Are the best available clinical effectiveness data used in economic evaluations of drug therapies? Journal of Health Services Research and Policy. 2007;12:(3):138-41
Drummond M, Sculpher M, Better analysis for better decisions: has pharmoeconomics come of age? Pharmacoeconomics 2006;24:107-108.
Drummond M, Sculpher M. Better analysis for better decisions: facing up to the challenges. Pharmacoeconomics. 2006;24:1039-42.
Mason A, Drummond MF, Towse A. Economic post-launch studies: matching the desirable with the feasible. London: Office of Health Economics; 2006 September.
Sculpher MJ, Drummond MF. Analysis sans frontiers: can we ever make economic evaluations generalisable across jurisdictions? Pharmacoeconomics. 2006;24(11):1087-99.
Sculpher MJ, Claxton K, Drummond MF, McCabe C. Whither trial-based economic evaluation for health care decision making. Health Economics, 2006;15:677-687.
Mike’s most well known publication is his book on the Methods of Economic Evaluation, now in its third edition:
Drummond MF, Sculpher MJ, Torrance GW, O'Brien BJ, Stoddart GL. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. Third edition: Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2005.
Barbieri M, Drummond MF, Willke R, Chancellor J, Jolain B, Towse A. Variability of cost-effectiveness estimates for pharmaceuticals in Western Europe: lessons for inferring generalizability. Value in Health 2005;8(1):10-23.
Cooke J, Mason A, Drummond MF, Towse AK. Medication management in English National Health Service hospitals. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy 2005;62:189-195.
Drummond MF, Barbieri M, Wong, JB. Analytic choices in economic models of treatments for rheumatoid arthritis: what makes a difference? Medical Decision Making 2005;25(5):250-533.
Drummond MF, Manca A, Sculpher MJ. Increasing the generalisability of economic evaluations: recommendations for the design, analysis and reporting of studies. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2005;21(2):165-171.
Drummond MF, Sculpher MJ. Common methodological flaws in economic evaluations. Medical Care 2005;43(7 Suppl):115-14.
Hawkins N, Epstein D, Drummond MF, Wilby J, Kainth A, Chadwick DM, et al. Assessing the cost-effectiveness of new pharmaceuticals in epilepsy in adults: the results of a probabilistic decision model. Medical Decision Making 2005;25:493-510.
Mason A, Drummond MF, Hunter J, Towse A, Cooke J. An evaluation of prescribing incentive schemes: can they encourage cost-effective prescribing? Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 2005;5(2): 111-117.
Wilby J, Kainth A, Hawkins N, Epstein D, McIntosh H, McDaid C, Mason A, Golder S, O'Meara S, Sculpher M, Drummond MF, Forbes C. A rapid and systematic review of the clinical effectiveness, tolerability and cost effectiveness of newer drugs for epilepsy in adults. Health Technology Assessment 2005;9(15):1-172.
Cook J, Drummond MF, Heyse JF. Economic endpoints in clinical trials. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2004;13:157-176.
Drummond MF. Economic evaluation in health care: is it really useful or are we just kidding ourselves? Australian Economic Review 2004;37(1):3-11.
Mason A, Drummond MF, Towse A, Cooke J. Influencing prescribing in English primary care: the views of primary care organisations. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 2004;9(3):153-158.
Drummond MF, Brown R, Fendrick M, Fullerton P, Neuman P, Taylor R, Barbieri M. Use of pharmacoeconomics information: report of the ISPOR task force on use of pharmacoeconomics/health economic information in health-care decision making. Value in Health 2003;6(4):407-416.
Hoffmann C, Stoykova BA, Nixon J, Glanville JM, Misso K, Drummond MF. Do health-care decision makers find economic evaluations useful? The findings of focus group research in UK health authorities. Value in Health 2002;5(2):71-78.
Mason J, Freemantle N, Nazareth I, Eccles M, Haines A, Drummond MF. When is it cost-effective to change the behavior of health professionals. JAMA 2001;286(23):2988-2992.